Sunday, September 14, 2008

I've Been Waiting Half My Life For This!

The Legacy Parkway finally opened yesterday, and I have had the opportunity to enjoy it twice already. It is a great little highway, even though the speed limit is only 55 mph and you can only exit in Centerville or at 5th South in Bountiful. It's amazing how being just a little to the west of I-15 gives you a totally different perspective on the area. I am really hoping that it helps with the horrific traffic situation through Farmington. Now if we could just finish the current construction project on I-15! Sadly, yes, these are the kinds of things that bring joy and excitement to my life.

On another construction note, Nate asked me a while back if they had started construction on the mall in Farmington. I drove past the site a couple of weeks ago and they have finally torn down the last house (the big one that jutted out into the field on a little hill) and they have been leveling the area and putting in sewer lines. Soon the dream of all Farmingtonians will come true, and they will finally have their upscale shopping center with no K-Mart nearby to drag the area down.

10 comments:

Grandmajoann said...

Wow, you are on the ball! Did your mom go with you? I want everyone to know that Jen and your Mom, MADE the Birthday Party a real success. They got in there and really played with all the kids, and they were sweating. Running down their faces even! Real sports. And, the presents were fun and Ava was adorable opening them.

Anonymous said...

Yes, Legacy is wonderful! I enjoyed it with Jen today and it has been well worth the wait. All 18 miles of it.

We do have exciting lives, don't we?

K-Mart, K-Mart, K-Mart!!!!!

~Cynthia~ said...

Farmington is getting a mall? Where is this at exactly?

Anonymous said...

I have mixed emotions about Legacy...I won't say anything as my views are not of the Utah majority. Okay I can't resist... convenient public transportation... I don't think we get most of those baby popping SUV lovers to quite driving their gas guzzlers anyways.

If your happy I am happy!

The stupidest thing Farmington every did was to get rid of that KMart but I guess the residents do like driving their SUV's to Layton or Centerville to Walmart or Target anyways!

Sheryl said...

Farmington folks definitly have a weird mentality!

I have been a big proponent of the light rail ever since I spent some time working in Baltimore and using it. It was affordable and convenient. I think in Utah there are not enough stops, and it is over priced. Jen says something like $9.00 to ride it in to downtown. Even at $4.00 a gallon it is still cheaper to drive, so why use it? They need to get the price down before people will give up control of their own vehicles.

The new mall is going in just north of Smiths, where the botanical thingy used to be.

Nate said...

I also must put in my two cents about the Legacy Highway. Last year SLC and Logan ranked as number six and seven in the top ten list of most polluted US cities (http://www.citymayors.com/environment/polluted_uscities.html). The inversion in SL has got so bad that there are weeks throughout the winter where they say that people should only go outside if they have to. I have read and heard all the counter arguments, but I believe; people should be willing to sacrifice a little time and extra money for their HEALTH. As you may have guessed I was and still am against the Legacy Highway; I don't think the best way to clean up air pollution is by building more roads.

Jen, we will agree to disagree, because I'm sure we have had this argument on several different occasions!!

By the way, the #1 city on the list is Pittsburgh, which we are about 120 miles away from, so I guess we didn't escape bad air quality by moving to Erie.

Denise said...

Flying into Chicago you see less pollution thatn when you fly into Salt Lake...pretty sad.

And even better! We are getting rid of a botanical garden and putting in a shopping center lol. We are all over it in Davis County baby!

But I also hope the Legacy gets the traffic situation in Farmington under control.

Jen said...

It would seem to me that commuters spending 45 minutes or more idling in stop and go traffic probably cause more than twice the amount of pollution than the same number of cars traveling at freeway speeds and reaching their destination in about 20 minutes.

I'm all for the light rail, but it isn't practical or affordable for everyone. I only see the parking lots at the Layton station on a regular basis, and they are almost always over-full on the week days, so it would appear that many commuters are using that option. Even with the light rail the drive from Salt Lake into Davis county has been even more of a nightmare than usual all summer. I dream of the day when they extend a line out to the airport, but my guess is that they won't run it through the night, so that probably won't do me any good either. For those reasons and many more I am very happy about the Legacy Highway, so yes, Nate, once again we will have to agree to disagree.

Anonymous said...

One more rant from me, your crazy sister!

I think Nate and I agree with you that we need roads, you and I both live in a way that we have zero commute and are doing our part to cut down on pollution and the use of oil. The best decision Nate and I made on so many fronts has been to live where we work, play and go to school. It is making small decisions like this a little at a time that end up making really big differences over time.

By adding more cement or pavement to this earth we lose more than we will ever gain. Unless you are among the last few people on earth that still don't believe in mans contribution to global warming I guess my words mean nothing, but for those who do, including George W. now, lets pull our heads out!

We are making bad decisions as a society and at some point it will be absolutely irreversible. For those of us who don't believe in a God, meaning me, who will save us... GAME OVER! Why be so careless, an extra 10 minutes in traffic is pretty meaningless in the grand scheme of things. I just wonder when we will all take some serious responsibility for the direction we seem to be going.

This subject is something that I have spent too much time learning about in under grad and it is so frustrating to me that so many people just don't want to worry about it and don't seem to care. Microorganisms are experts at adapting and do it nearly effortlessly, they have the ability to exploit our waste and can thrive in places we can only imagine.

I will now TRY to agree to disagree even though I still really want to change your mind!

Denise said...

HA HA! I love you Ang. UDOT is trying, but our light rail system kind of sucks. I want to ride it to the bar but it closes at midnight so I can't come home...and it does not run Sundays so it is useless to me! But I only live 2 miles from my work so I have to agree that is awesome! I think all of us girls besides mom lives within ten minutes of our jobs.