Friday, December 19, 2008

Paging Dr. Barnes!

I think it was three years ago now that Steph made me sign-up for bootcamp at Weber State with her, and I hated everything about it. While doing crunches one day I developed a sharp pain in my lower right abdomen and it hasn't ever completely gone away. When it first started I talked to both my regular doctor and my gynecologist, and neither of them could figure out what the problem might be, so I've just been living with low grade pain. Last week it was hurting more than usual, so I decided to go back in and see if we could figure out what the problem might be.

I made an appointment last Friday and my doctor took blood and urine samples to rule out some sort of infection or kidney stones. He said that it could be a pinched nerve or some sort of musculoskeletal abnormality, and he prescribed an anti-inflammatory to see if that would help.

I took the anti-inflammatory Friday night and Saturday morning. I was blow drying my hair Saturday morning when suddenly I felt like I was having a hard time breathing. By the time I finished drying my hair I was dizzy and shaking and I felt like I was going to pass out. Luckily the clinic is just a few blocks from my house, so I made it there in one piece and got an epinephrine shot and a handful of antihistamine samples. I was told to throw away my anti-inflammatory medication and take it easy for the rest of the day.

On Monday I returned to my doctor's office to get the results of my test, which were perfectly normal. My doctor decided to schedule me for an abdominal CT to see if that would show any problem.

On Tuesday I went in for my CT scan. By Tuesday night I was really sick. I had a severe headache, sharp stabbing pains in my chest that felt like the pleurisy I had last summer, and unpleasant gastrointestinal upset.

By Wednesday I was feeling even worse. I really didn't want to go in for the fifth time in six days, but I was so sick I decided that I'd better do it. My doctor looked me over and said, "Well, it looks like you've got some sort of virus". At least he already had the results of my CT scan so it wasn't a completely wasted visit. Fortunately or unfortunately, the CT scan showed all of my internal organs to be perfectly normal, so I still have no answer as to what might be causing the abdominal pain. I promised my doctor that, no matter what happened, I would not return to see him this month, and hopefully I won't have to go in for at least another six months. I spent $140 in copays in one week in order to find out that my doctor can't find anything wrong with me.

On Thursday I woke up with a rash all over my neck and face, but I am sticking to my promise. I still have the rash and some discomfort in my chest, but my other symptoms have gone away. I can't tell you how glad I am to have two weeks off to just recuperate!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jen what part of I am on vacation don't you understand!!! Just kidding, I just have zero knowledge at this point! I can't wait until I can help you though.

The first rule of Osteopathic medicine is "The Body is a Unit" the problem is figuring the dang unit out.

That totally sucks to be sick just as you go on break, I hope you get better soon!

~Cynthia~ said...

My goodness girl, you have been to the doctor more in a week than I have in the past 20 years, aside from when I was pregnant. I hope you get well fast so you can do more with your time off then just sitting around waiting to get well.

Sheryl said...

Jen, Jen, Jen. What are we going to do with you? You have inherited this from the Tilley side of the family, and for that I am very sorry. It is, at the very least, comforting to know that there is nothing going on with any organs at this point. My theory is that you are just sick and tired of working and a few days off should do the trick.

I have decided that for your second career you need to work at Dogtown. This is something that you would enjoy. Playing with dogs all day in the beautiful Angel Canyon area of Southern Utah. I believe it would cure all of your aches and pains. You might have to get some education in animal behavior, so get on it!

Steph Thompson said...

Geez man! What are we supposed to do with you? I know one thing I won't do is call you Quasimoto at work, apparently some parents may not like me afterwards! I agree with mom, get to dogtown!

Jen said...

A. I know that everything that is wrong with me was inherited from the Tilley side. Unfortunately I seem to be all Tilley, no Wassom.

B. I agree that I am probably just allergic to work. However I don't think that 2 weeks off is enough to cure me, I think only a Bahamavention could do that.

C. Steph, if you ever call me Quasimoto again in front of anyone I will burst into tears just to make sure that everyone hates you. P.S. - I NEED a junior bacon cheeseburger!

Hammers said...

You have been sick an awful lot more than usual this year. It's strange. I don't know about all this Dogtown business. You are not allowed to leave...unless I do.

I sent you an invite to your work email. I'll do my best to refrain from any bad boss posts.

Anonymous said...

Actually Jen I forgot that they did teach us one thing in med school the other day that a bahamaventions cures all problems! The only requirement is you take your soon to be doctor sister with you!!! You take care of me now and I will take care of you later, hmmm, what do you say?????

Grandmajoann said...

Well I would be a little nervous if they found nothing wrong with me and I was still felling miserable. How about another doctor? Are you feeling better by now?

Denise said...

Jen! This is always the same problem I have! And they can NEVER find anything wrong with me either!

I have had one illness after the other for about two months and I am finally feeling better.

But would you please call me if you are not feeling well and need help?!

Matt-n-Jef said...

Sounds like a case for Dr.House.

Jen said...

Ang, I would love to take you with me, but you don't seem to have much free time any more.