Tuesday, January 6, 2009

My Nightmare Drive

As some of you know, the day Denise had her accident Eric told me that Tick is terminally ill with kidney problems. I had taken her into the vet the day before because she had blood in her urine. Eric says that she has kidney stones and because of her advanced age he doesn't recommend surgery, and I agree. Basically I am just waiting for her to act like she is in pain, or to stop eating. So far she acts just fine and she is as ravenous for treats as she has always been. He gave me some antibiotics and told me that if she improved on the medication I could just call him for some more when she started bleeding again.

Yesterday when I came home from work I took her for a walk down the block and noticed that the blood in the urine had returned. It was snowing hard and I really didn't want to go out and drive in that mess, but I decided that I didn't want to wait 24 hours to start the antibiotics. I called the office and told them that I was coming to pick up the medicine, packed Tick into the car, and started out. The receptionist at the Vet's office told me that the freeway was shut down in both directions in Layton due to accidents, so I took the back roads.

I left my house at 3:50, and it took me 10 minutes to drive three blocks. It took me 20 minutes to get to Mutton Hollow, and then traffic picked up and I thought that the rest of my drive would be a breeze. I turned onto Antelope Drive at 4:25, and that is where traffic pretty much came to a stop. I still wasn't too worried. The Vet's office closes at 5:30, so I figured that I had an hour to drive about three miles, and surely it couldn't take me that long to get there. As traffic inched along, and the time passed, I began to get worried. At 5:12 I was stuck in front of Lowes, and I knew that there was no way that I would get over the overpass by 5:30. I couldn't bear the thought that this whole ordeal had been in vain, so I pulled my car into the junior high parking lot, and I jumped out and started to run. While stopped at a traffic light I pulled my phone out and called the Vet's office and begged them not to leave before I got there. According to Map Quest my run was approximately one mile, and there were about 4 inches of snow on the ground. I got to the Vet's office at 5:30 exactly, picked up Tick's antibiotics and began the long walk back to my car. By the time I got back to my car 2o minutes later the freeway must have opened, because traffic had thinned out considerably. I got home at about 6:20, so the round trip that should have taken me 20 minutes on a good day took 2 and a half hours.

The good news is that I didn't see any blood in Tick's urine today. The bad news is that working out on the eliptical may be the same motion as running, but running is much harder on the body. My legs are so stiff I can barely move!

12 comments:

Jessica said...

I am so sorry to hear about Tick, What a great companion he has been. I am glad that you made it to the vets office in time though. The drive was horrible that day, It took me an hour and a half to get home from work.

Alyssa Findlay said...

Oh my gosh! I can't believe you actually got out of your car and RAN to the vet! That is some serious dedication if you ask me! Wow.

Nate said...

We can certainly give you the "dog owner of the year" award. I know it won't be going to me, because right now I have ZERO patience for either of our animals. I wouldn't have even thought to pull over and run for it! Tick is very lucky to have you!

I can really relate to your post. I have been in one of those Kaysville to Layton 3 hour tours and they SUCK. I also just got back from a long run in 6 inches of snow with a 20 mph head-wind and they also SUCK.

I think you should get a new PUP, so Tick can show her around and teach her the rules of the road. And also because MISERY loves company, and we need someone to share in the JOY of having a puppy.

Denise said...

Holy cow Jen! I have to say I would have ran for it too. That sounds absolutely freaking miserable though. I hope Tick is feeling ok now. And if something happens call me! I don't want to hear about Tick 3 days later. However, I think she has a very strong will to live and I don't know that she will be going very soon.

Anonymous said...

I had no idea about Tick, poor girl! I would reprimand you but I am sure you just made an honest MISTAKE by not telling us gal.

You are a trooper, I can't believe what a nightmare that must have been. My heart was racing just reading your post and I am sitting down!

The things we do for the love of our animals. They are worth every bit of it. Even though Bella is an absolute nightmare when she is awake, I already can't imagine not having her. We are miserably in love with this growing terror!

Matt-n-Jef said...

Sorry to hear about the Tickster.
There seems to be a rash of sickness going around in dogs these days. With Bryce, our office has had three dogs that got sick and had to be put down in the last two weeks.
I hope that doesn't happen to you and that Tick gets better

Tilley/Booth said...

You know I live about a mile away from you...call me if you need anything. You can even call to tell me the hell you have been through. After all my kid just drops in at your house cause he's to lazy to walk home.

I think tick is looking good. She is just testing you to make sure you care!

Jen said...

I don't think that there will be a puppy in this house any time soon. If Tick were able to plug along until summer vacation I might think about it, but I don't think that is going to happen. In addition to her kidney problems she is growing several tumors that appear to be of the cancerous variety.

I have been looking at Pet Finder, though it does make me feel very disloyal. There are currently two female greyhounds in Utah that are looking for homes.

Grandmajoann said...

Jen, you do really love that animal! I am so glad you got home safely. It was a terrible storm and I am so glad I didn't have to work that day. So many roads were stacked up with car after car. I hope that Tick will be okay until summer. It just seems to be nicer to loose someone in the summer. Love ya.

Anonymous said...

It is not disloyal to look at other fury faces. When Bryce passed away all I could think of was that I can't just have one dog what if something happened to Baby! And that is what made me really insane about getting another one. I think it is a way we protect our hearts from knowing they won't be with us forever.

But I agree that a puppy right now for you would only add to Tick's discomfort unless you were around 24/7 to defend her against sharp teeth and claws and the continual unwanted attacks!

Give that girl a good scratch behind the ears, love you!

Sheryl said...

Well, I have been missing in action all week, and didn't see this post until Ang told me about it.

I'm glad Tic is looking better. Your run reminds me of my jog to the airport in Las Vegas last month. I know just exactly how your legs are feeling.

Steph Thompson said...

Long live Jen! I am so sorry gal! That is a horrible trek for you. Tick is lucky to have you!