Friday, February 27, 2009

Another Boring Update

What a difference a week and a half makes! Last week the snow in my yard was the deepest it has been all winter, and now it is almost gone. I am so happy that it has started to warm up! I did manage to get the snowshoes out once before the melting started. It was easy to walk on the path that had been packed down by those who had been there before me, but I found that I was still sinking in a good 6 inches if I got off the path. I don't know if that is normal.

Even though all of the snow has melted off single guy's driveway he is still missing in action. Maybe he enjoys living in the local crack motel.

The Shady Lady went in to be spayed yesterday. It was a really rough day for her. The effects of the anesthesia didn't wear off until about 4 a.m., so we had a really rough night. She was up every 20 or 30 minutes whining and shaking with her eyes glazed over, and I'm not sure she was really even concious. After about 5 minutes she would lie down again and rest for a little while, but then she would be back up looking distressed. She wouldn't take the pain meds they gave me, so there was nothing I could do for her. Finally at 4 a.m. she got up with clear eyes and wagged her tail and took the medication and settled down to bed. Today she seems completely fine. I was told not to walk her for a couple of days and at the moment she is not very happy about it. It was kind of nice to have her anesthetized for an evening. On Wednesday night my visiting teachers came over and she chewed through both her leash and her head collar while they were here.
Tick was good about staying out of the flower bed with only a little 18 inch high decorative fence. Shady jumps right over that fence with ease, so I have put up a 5 foot temporary fence until I can put some sod there. I have a feeling that she could be a digging animal, so I won't trust her with fresh dirt.

On a completely different subject, since we were blogging about Stephanie's upcomming wedding last time someone should probably inform the extended family that the wedding has been postponed. They thought that Brian's divorce was going to be finalized in the next couple of weeks, but the ex-wife has once again decided to put up a fight about something that they had previously settled. Hopefully they will be able to get everything settled soon, but until then the wedding is on hold.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

The snow shoes sound like a lot of work! I can't stand walking in the snow, it really ruins my entire day, which may have something to do with why I have been so cranky for the last 4 months. Sigh, it just started snowing a couple of hours, again.

Bella is also a digging dog and when we bring her in from outside it is a total biting fest while we get her paws cleaned off. My hands are starting to look like raw hamburger!

Poor Shady didn't know what hit her! I wish you luck as you try to get your giant puppy to understand why she don't get a walkie!

P.S. I got the info about Steph from Jo and it is a dang good thing because I was going to book airfare this weekend.... I am so bummed because I was really looking forward to hanging out!

Nate said...

Your yard looks very similiar to our's, in that he doesn't have much snow. The difference is that we have make shift ponds everywhere because it has been raining hard all day.

We are NEVER bored with your updates. I can totally relate to you on the dog front. Belly is driving us CRAZY. The only time we can relax is when she is asleep.

On a completely seperate note, when I blew up the picture of your house I noticed that you still have your Christmas lights up and it appeared they were on. It makes me feel good to know that we're not the only to still have the Christmas lights up.

Jen said...

Jo and Denise and I were talking about booking airfare this weekend too. I think the moral of the story it that nobody books anything until the bride and groom do it first!

Yes, my dog is also driving me absolutely crazy. Some days I think she is so sweet, and other days she is so bad I don't know whether to kill her or myself. I know what you mean about only being able to relax when she is asleep! I need the book that Mom ordered for us so I can learn how to be the dominant dog in the house.

And yes, my Christmas lights are still up, but they are not on. Now that the snow has melted they will be coming down tomorrow.

Denise said...

I am sorry but I am getting so much joy out of how naughty Shady is LOL. Life will not be the same for me if she ever settles down. I have this constant image of you running around after her and trying to conrol her HA HA HA.

Jen said...

Believe me, Denise, your visions are correct. I've been doing a little more research on the breed and I am absolutely scared out of my mind. What was I thinking? If you want some enlightening information on the coonhound click on this link. http://www.coonhounds.com/Stories/shouldiown.html

Sheryl said...

I found Shady to be a delightful animal. She was an awesome bunk mate, too. She didn't move a muscle all night.

I'm glad that you only had one terrible night with the anesthesia (however you spell it). It sounds like that was not a great time.

I am going to the coonhound link now to laugh myself silly. I am anxiously awaiting delivery of the books so you all can learn Cesar's way.

Sheryl said...

LOL, you are in a lot of trouble, my friend! A very interesting website.

It sounds like you are going to have to get a second dog to entertain your first dog while you are at work all day. Either that, or take her to work everyday to insure that you don't come home and find your couch eaten.

From what I read it sound like you have been living on borrowed time.

Jen said...

I'm scared! SCARED!

Matt-n-Jef said...

First of all.. I didn't even know that Stephanie was getting married.

Secondly.. xmas lights still on the house? You are so white trash.

Lastly.. My little emmers is a great sleeping buddy. Although she wakes me up all night with her going under the covers, coming out of the covers, going under the covers, out of the covers three or four times a night.. She loves her daddy...

Anonymous said...

SCARED.... I guess you need to get another dog this summer!!

Well, now you are going to have to start running.... you didn't need that greyhound after all to get that slender physic! You just need to run yourself ragged chasing your hound.

When she do decide to climb the fence, while barking her head off, I want video proof!!!

I can't wait to meet that Shady lady, all these bad habits just make me love her even more... I do love a bad dog, I really do.

Nate said...

GOOD GOD!! I just went and read that website on the Coon Hound and I am beyond scared. I don't know if the person who wrote the information likes the breed or if they are so angry and hostile about the barking and ruined couch, that out of several pages of information they could only find several positive traits and they even tried to talk down the positive traits.

That being said, before we got a German Shepherd, I read many pages of information on the breed. There was a LOT more negative information than there was positive. I think they try to prepare you for the worst possible outcome and when they have your expectations as low as they can possibly get, you will always be pleasantly surprised.

Good Luck! I'm sure Shady will defy the odds, that is, after you get a second dog.

Jen said...

Nate, you have expressed my feelings perfectly!

Sheryl said...

Jen, you and Nate are living in LaLa land. LOL

I recommend looking at a more docile breed for your second pooch.