Wednesday, March 4, 2009

A Gristley Discovery

On Monday I took Shady down to check out the Legacy Parkway trail. It turned out to be an absolute disaster. There weren't a ton of people on the trail, but I learned that my dog does not share the trail with bikers. Casual bikers aren't that bad, but the serious bikers don't slow down or share the trail with anyone. One of them came tearing around a corner and Shady was at the end of her leash and he nearly ran her over. He yelled something that I didn't hear, but his tone was definitely not friendly. After less than a mile I gave up and went back to Glover Lane. There is a dirt road that runs from Glover Lane to Parish Lane in Centerville that is just an access road for the fields between Legacy and the Bird Refuge so we walked along that for another couple of miles.


Today I decided to take her up to the Upper Bonneville Shoreline Trail above Kaysville. It's not really a strenuous hike but I don't often encounter many people on that trail so I enjoy it. We walked over to the canyon above Cherry Hill and I was just getting ready to turn around when Shady came romping out of the shrubs with a gristley deer bone in her mouth.

I had to play tug of war with her to get her to give it up, and I was not happy about having to touch that thing. I then noticed a larger part of the carcass on the other side of the trail. I didn't see the skull, but I did find an antler. Since tomorrow's preschool theme is deer, it will be the perfect day for me to take the antler for show and tell.

10 comments:

Matt-n-Jef said...

Dont' understand why you couldn't just let her play with that bone. Dogs love bones. Its their instinct. You didn't have to touch that nasty thing. Let her bring it home and play with it. Emily loves to chew on bones, toss them around and play with them. She was just bringing Mom a present and showing how studly she was.

Anonymous said...

I am also very annoyed when "serious" athletes have to be such trail hogs. Get a life!

Shady just wants to taste a deer! Why do you take all the fun out of her life.... ha, ha!

I think we are going to have a "bunny incident" before long. So far Bella doesn't really know what to think about them but I am sure at some point she is going to chase one down and bring its bloody lifeless body up to the porch, yuck!

Jen said...

I didn't let Shady keep the bone because it was brittle, and brittle bones are not good for dogs. In Farmington my neighbor, Frank, was constantly throwing brittle old bones over the fence, and Tick had an upset stomach all of the time. After we moved to Kaysville she only had an upset stomach once.

Ang, I can guarantee you that if Shady were in your yard there would be bunny incidents every day until the bunnies were no more. I think that it is so cool that you have wild rabbits all over the place, but they don't necessarily mix with dogs.

Nate said...

Well Jen, I sure wish we could get the hound and shepherd together. I think Bella is beginning to hit the tween/teen stage because she is BEYOND annoying. We have had good weather the last couple days (on a side note...it's sick that we think when the temp. gets above 20 and it doesn't snow that it is good weather). Liv and I have been playing "Bella in the middle" with the Frisbee. It's really fun until she gets a hold of the Frisbee because it's hard to ever catch her to get it back.

I have a friend in Fruit Heights that uses his hounds to tree mountain lions along the Wasatch Front. I think we need to develop Shady into a "treeing" animal and then you can get a new "pelt" to go next to the bear.

Jen said...

Treeing is what my hound was born to do! Unfortunately for her, I have no interest in hunting.

I feel for you when it comes to the teen puppy phase. That is where my girl is right now, and where she will probably stay for the next year or two. Right now we are going through a lot of stuffed animals and dolls. I am loving the DI! And I'm totally with you about thinking that as long as it isn't snowing and you can't see your breath the weather is GREAT! Unfortunately for us, it snowed again last night and we are supposed to be in a cold, wet cycle for the next several days.

Sheryl said...

This is exactly the kind of incident that keeps me from wanting a pet. I DO NOT want to find parts of any kind of carcass in my yard. Gross.

Pretty cute of her at the same time. It is amazing that you can be attached to the other end of that leash and still get surprised. Kudos on the antler though. That is fun for the kids.

Anonymous said...

Mother, what if it was a gopher carcass?

Sheryl said...

Don't want to find it on my pillow!

Denise said...

Butch once had this big puff in his mouth at my house in Farmington....that shit hole one bedroom.....and I thought it was a piece of lint so I annoyingly grabbed it to find it had feet....a mouse!! UGH!!!

Butch loves to chase squirrels and chipmunks and whatever else.

The people on the legacy are jerks. The biker get pissed at us when we ride on horses and yell stuff at us. Butch once ran down a man in one of those sit down in a tent and pedal things. Ha ha!

Anonymous said...

The only time I would condone Butchy biting is if it was some tough guy on a bike yelling about his workout being ruined!