Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Hiking

For the past couple of weeks I have been hiking every day up a wickedly steep canyon just south of Baer Canyon. I don't know the name of this canyon, but there is a dirt road that goes up it. The road is so steep I don't know how vehicles manage to navigate it. Nate, this canyon is right above the neighborhood where you used to live. Do you know what it is called?
I tried to take a picture that would show how steep the road is, but none of them really did it justice. I was hoping that I could lose some weight if I hiked this every day, but so far I've had no success.

The road ends in this pretty grove of pine trees. I love the silvery green ground cover under the trees. I'm told that once the road end it connects to a trail that leads down into Baer Canyon, but I can't find the trail, so I just go back down the way I came up.


I also enjoy all of the wildflowers along the way. Thanks to Mom, Rick, and Rick's dad for the new camera. It is much better than the old one, and it doesn't need duct tape to hold it together.


6 comments:

Sheryl said...

I think the picture with the trees shows the slope pretty good. It looks hideous, but also quite lovely and I see why you like it. The camera does seem to take pretty nice pictures, Have you put any music on it?

Anonymous said...

It is about time you got a new camera! I can sympathize with you on the weight issue, I gained 10 pounds this last year and I thought if I walked the dogs an hour a day, then did my run and added weights a couple of days a week the pounds would fall off. Nope, not even one... I think I could adjust to this weight and deal with it but I know that as soon as school starts up I will start adding on the pounds again(and it is the dreaded belly fat), I just don't want to add one more exercise!

Nate said...

I used to ride my motorcycle and mountain bike all over in that area and for the life of me; I can't remember a canyon, with a road, in between Baer Canyon and Farmington Canyon. Is it above Somerset Farms or farther South?

Either way, it looks like a great place to hike. I sure miss the mountains.

Jen said...

Mom, I haven't put any music on the camera yet. These gadgets are way to fancy for me.

Nate, if you go to the street at the top of East Oaks Drive (Davis Blvd?) this little dirt road starts at the entrance to Baer Canyon then it goes south behind the houses on the east side of that street. The dirt road starts to climb into this little canyon right above the south end of Davis Blvd.

Grandmajoann said...

Jen, that looks like a beautiful place. The flowers are very pretty. Why on earth is weight so hard to loose? We all have the same problem and I am way too old to do that fancy exercising......The camera is wonderful. Keep sharing!

Jessica said...

It looks like a pretty hike and I love the pictures of the flowers. Great shots.