Nate, I don't think that anyone ever answered your question about the name of the resort. We stayed at the Wyndham Cozumel. It was okay for our purposes, but I would never go back. The rooms were okay, and the beds were actually the best I've ever experienced in Mexico, but the food left a great deal to be desired. I think if we had taken the whole family most of them would have starved at this resort. It's not necessarily that the food was bad, there was just no selection to choose from, and it didn't vary from day to day. I have never seen such a small buffet at one of these places before. We wondered if it was so limited because there were so few people there, but I really couldn't see where they would have put anything more if it had been available.
The freaky thing about this trip was that there were hardly any people there. I doubt that our resort was even half full, and when we walked up the beach on Monday there was NOBODY in sight! The Carlos and Charlie's bar and shops were open, but there were only a couple of other people wandering through. We passed another public beach area with shops and restaurants that was completely closed down, and a national park beach area where we saw three people in the water and not a soul on the beach. I don't know if it was because of the swine flu, the economy, the violence in Mexico, or a combination of all three, but it was kind of spooky. There did seem to be a few more people there on the day that we left.
Next time I will definitely purchase trip insurance to cover weather-related airport closures, and I will NOT fly American Airlines. They were a nightmare on every single leg of our trip, both coming and going. I will also be hoping that more of you will be in a position to join us next time!
6 comments:
I was just complaining about not getting details from your vacation on my blog!
That is really weird that it was so empty. I remember though the year of the tuna boat when we went to Cozumel while you guys scuba'd and it seemed empty with exception of all of us coming in off the ships. I wonder if not a lot of people stay there but just do day trips to see the island and come back to their resorts on the mainland?
I hadn't really thought about it either, but I am sure the current economy is a big part of the reason. The airlines are struggling and I'm sure the media coverage on swine flu and the violence in Mexico isn't helping.
I was really jealous thay you guys were going, but I have to agree; the best part of Mexico is spending time with the family. We are hoping to be able to take a tropical vacation in December. If we don't, Liv may NOT survive. What is your availability?
Did you dive? Where did you snorkel? What did you see? Did you do any excursions? I NEED more information!
Nate, whenever you guys can go, I will find a way to be there.
I had planned to dive, but when we ended up really only having 3 days at the resort I decided not to.
The "booze cruise" snorkling tour took us to Palancar Reef and Colombia Reef. Both were good, but they would have been better for diving. The Colombia Reef was about 20 feet under the surface, and Palancar was about 35 feet below the surface.
We did most of our snorkling right in front of the resort. The roped-off area for swimming didn't have much coral, but we could usually see some fish. French angels, French grunts, parrot fish and blue wrass were the most plentiful. We usually saw a couple of different kinds of sting rays in the evening, but they were all small. We ventured outside the roped-off area a few times and snorkled along some low cliffs, and the coral was really beautiful there when the light was good. I bought a waterproof camera and took some pictures. As soon as I get them developed I will post them.
Good job of summing things up. We did comment several times that some people may have starved to death if they had been there. There wasn't a single chicken nugget or strip on the property.
Seriously, avoid American Airlines at all cost.
I want to go in December!!!!! Can we can we can we!!????
So basically you did not enjoy the resort?
I wouldn't say that we didn't enjoy the resort, but of the 7 Mexican resorts I have stayed in this would definitely be ranked in 7th place.
Post a Comment