Saturday, December 12, 2009

Life With a Coonhound

So, nothing much has been happening lately.  My life consists of going to work, walking the dog, and cooking.  Since I'm cooking for myself I decided to get crafty and see if I could make some dog treats too.  I found some recipes at http://www.twodogpress.com/ and I got to work.  I made a triple batch of the big boy beef biscuits and as far as I can tell they turned out well.  Shady certainly seems to like them.  Next time I will try the peanut butter bones.  Mom, as I was doing research on dog recipes I read that grapes and raisins are toxic to dogs.  I think it was you  who told me that you had been feeding your dogs grapes.

Shady is loving the snow and I am tolerating it.  I broke out the snow shoes earlier in the week when we had our first good snowfall.  Since then the snow has settled and I have just been trudging along in boots.  It snowed again today but we only got another inch or two.  You would think that spending an hour racing around in the snow would be enough to wear her out, but it is not.  She has been very interested in playing fetch lately.  The other day I was in the shower when suddenly her head popped around the curtain and she dropped a squeaky ball into the tub.  She then proceeded to bark at me until I threw it back out.  We spent the next several minutes playing fetch while I finished my shower.  That dog exhausts me sometimes!



8 comments:

Nate said...

It's nice to see that someone else is having the same miserable weather we are.

I have never played fetch with Bella while taking a shower, so you have definitely one-upped me on that one, although I can certainly understand. As I am trying to write a comment, Bella is pushing a squeaky toy into my hand because she wants to play fetch.

Anonymous said...

Every day is a dogs day! They really are exhausting... I sure wish we lived close so they could both run around together and wear each other out.
I know you are doing the cooking out of necessity for your health, but are you enjoying it? I actually really like to cook, especially new recipes... but I HATE cleaning up so I dread cooking! It is an ugly cycle.

Sheryl said...

Well, it is me that has been feeding my dog grapes. I guess I will not be letting her have grapes any more. That is frightening.

Gingie likes to watch me have a shower, but she don't want to play fetch. She is not a fetching dog.

I don't think I would ever be ambitious enough to cook for my dogs. I barely want to cook for the people in the house. That is going above and beyond.

I am not looking forward to your weather. It sounds awful.

Jen said...

The weather has not improved today. Slush is falling from the sky as we speak. When I went out to shovel an hour ago there was only about an inch of new stuff on the driveway, but it was so heavy that I could barely manage a full shovel.

I enjoy the cooking when the recipe turns out well. I have a Mongolian beef recipe down pat that I could eat every day. I made a dish a few weeks ago that was fairly complicated and it ended up tasting awful. I always feel guilty and wasteful throwing out a bunch of food that I don't like, and I dread the clean-up part too.

Kellie said...

That is so funny, Dogs are the best. Your a trooper to go out in the snow with her!

~Cynthia~ said...

I can't imagine cooking for a dog. I can't cook without licking my fingers or sampling, and not really wanting to touch anything that is animal related I think I would be really grossed out.

Jen said...

Well, since all of the ingredients were things that people eat it wasn't too gross. The biscuits are people edible for people who can eat wheat, of which I am not one, so I didn't sample them.

~Cynthia~ said...

I kind of figured dog treats were made from human food ingredients, but its just the thought, ya know? LOL!