Saturday, October 2, 2010

Ava's Birthday

Okay, so the Diva's birthday party was 2 weeks ago, but I did finally get the pictures posted.

It was a well attended party at the Castle Park on Nichols Road.  The kids got hats and fancy pink mesh gloves, and they got to make their own necklaces.

Steph and Jamie put some gorgeous make-up on their faces. 
The kids enjoyed playing tether ball and swinging on the big tire swing.




The adults enjoyed sitting in the shade.

After dealing with a sick dog for several days a few weeks ago, I started looking into what she might be eating to make herself sick.  I discovered that the berries on my Virginia creeper are poisonous to dogs.  I don't know why the stupid dog would be eating them, but I do know that the 2 little neighbor kids were picking them and throwing them to her.  I decided that as a precaution the vine had to go.  Because I don't enjoy looking at my neighbors, I needed to plant a new vine on my fence.  Clematis, Boston Ivy, trumpet vines, and honeysuckle are all poisonous to dogs, so I settled on the silver lace vine.  I can't find any evidence that it is poisonous, so let's hope it is not.  Regardless, it does not produce berries, so hopefully she won't try snacking on it.  It does produce masses of white flowers which attract bees, so maybe it will keep the neighbor kids away.  After I planted my new vines this morning I was driving up to the trail head with Shady for our evening walk when I noticed this vine covering a fence and the power lines above it, as well as a couple of trees.  This is the silver lace vine, and this picture frightens me.  I wonder how long this vine has been growing, and how many they planted.  I planted two.  I can see that I will need to be aggressive at pruning it! 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh the Diva's B-day party... so fun! You have become the family photographer and biographer these days... haha. And I hope you have everyone's birth certificates safely filed away Craiger!

I wish your vine much success and if those damn neighbor kids were involved in promoting the berry eating then I hope the get stung by one of those bee's!! Unless they are allergic and then I hope they just stay away :)

Sheryl said...

Thanks for posting up the birthday party. I was not smart enough to think of doing it. I am an idiot.

The vine is really pretty and I dare say that if you actually prune it, it most likely won't be a problem. I would imagine whoever owns the one in the picture has never but a pruning shear to it ever.