According to www.post-gazette.com, the black bear population is on the rise in Pennsylvania. Once found only in remote northern forests, black bears have recently been sighted near Greensburg, Butler, and even Pittsburgh. The population has grown from around 4,000 in 1970 to around 15,000 today. All that the bears need to support life is an abundant food source (rabbits, groundhogs, opossums, and fish) and the safety to grow to maturity. I would say that, given the heavily wooded areas in and around Erie, it is entirely possible that you did in fact see a bear!
P.S., I tried to find a picture of a black bear to put on this post but I couldn't figure out how to upload a picture from the web.
9 comments:
Vindicated!
I will be on diligent watch for the bear that I just might have really seen.
FACT: Brown bears can run faster than black bears.
FACT: Bears can climb faster than they can run.
FACT: Dwight may in fact know everything about bears.
Ahhh, Dwight.
Ang, do not EVER go out without a camera!
So, what you are really saying is the only way to figure this out is to go to Scranton!
Yes, I would really like to have you go to Scranton to check this out. Perhaps you will pass some beet farms on the way.
If you pass a beat farm it may in fact be a bed and breakfast! Question: do black bears run faster than polar bears?
FACT: Black bears run faster than polar bears.
FACT: Polar bears swim faster than black bears.
FACT: Beet farms that double as bed-and-breakfast resorts should be avoided at all costs.
Jen you are morphing into Dwight...and I like it!
Nothing is better than a Bed and Breakfast Beet farm, I say don't pass one up!
I've always seen you as more of a Jim, but Dwight is entertaining also.
Post a Comment