Thursday, August 28, 2008

More Fun At Work

The kids came to school for the first time yesterday, and we had a great day. At 7:45 p.m. the mother of one of my kindergarteners called me to inform me that she just discovered that her daughter had lice. Yipee! I went straight back to work and did three loads of laundry to clean all of our dress-ups, stuffed animals, and dolls. My head immediately started itching when I heard the news, and it drove me crazy all evening. On the bright side, we were missing three kids today due to lice quarantine and we had a really mellow day!

8 comments:

Nate said...

My head is itching right now!!! My sisters had lice and I remember it was horrible!! I feel for you.

When I was in grade school they used to have a woman come around to each class. She would go through each person’s head while everyone was watching. She would then ask the "infected" individuals to step out in the hall. Those people were then ridiculed the rest of their lives. I was never called out in the hall but obviously it was a very traumatic experience for me.

I hope they have stopped this tradition in school!!!

Anonymous said...

I was one of the kids taken out to the hall, and yes, it was horrifying! I think ended up having lice atleast twice if not three times. I remember coming home everyday and sitting for what seemed like hours having mom pick the stupid dead buggers out of my hair.

I cringe at the thought of having to do that with my kids or myself again. God Bless Jen!!!

Jen said...

Luckily for these kids I'm not going to publicly humiliate them, but I am calling their parents to come and take them home!

Anonymous said...

Oh, that whole lice thing was horrifying. I remember it was on New Year's Eve and Ang had fallen asleep on the floor. I picked her up to take her to bed, and it was like the whole underneath of her hair was alive. I can't imagine how long they had been there. I don't remember any prior itching or any indication during shampooing, but there they were. We did pick out the eggs for weeks on end, and all the washing of the bedding and everything. I feel for you, Jen.

Denise said...

Perhaps Stephanie can recall us getting lice all the time from the Rigby's house lol.

Matt-n-Jef said...

I went to get my haircut once and the girl who was washing my hair told me that I had a problem with lice and I needed to go home and take care of the problem before she could go any further.. How embarassing. I finally figured out that I got the lice from an old movie theatre just days before (that they finally demolished a couple of years later) and rested my head on the back of the chair during the movie..

Denise.. it sounds like the Ribgy's were all first class..

~Cynthia~ said...

I remember when some of you girls had lice. There is no way on earth I could ever pick lice out of anyones hair. I don't know what I would do if my girls ever got lice, except maybe send them to their dad's;-) They have mentioned it at our school before, but so far we have escaped that fate (knock on wood).

Anonymous said...

The Rigby's seriously are first class! I am in class right now but that is the funniest dang thing ever, I can't help but smile.