Friday, September 5, 2008

Work Update & Something for Liv

My second week of work is over, and aside from the lice (still just one child) things are going pretty well. My new assistant is very efficient and willing to do the work. I don't yet feel like we are friends, but hopefully that will come later.

I started a blog for my class and I sent out several e-mails to the parents telling them about it, and I also posted a note about it on my door. After the first post 2 parents commented, but then I didn't hear any other feedback about it. I was beginning to feel like I was doing all that work for nothing, but I decided to do one more post yesterday. I sent out an e-mail telling parents that there would be pictures from our walk to the duck pond on the blog and apparently that was the incentive that everyone needed to check it out. My map went from 3 viewers (one of them in Erie) to a couple of dozen in the last 24 hours. I have a child whose father and extended family live in South Africa, and I see that they are now looking at the blog. A couple of parents e-mailed me to let me know that the grandparents are loving the blog too. Another mother told me that when she asks her son what he did at school that day he always replies, "Nothing". Last night they looked at the blog together and he described in great detail everything that he had done. That was what I had been hoping for when I started the blog, and I am finally feeling like it is a success.

On another note, my new next door neighbors moved in yesterday. I haven't met them yet, and I'm not sure whether it is the older couple who will be living there, or the younger couple with three small children. There have been a lot of people in and out and I am not sure which ones will be living there and which ones are just helping with the move. When I went out to pick my tomatoes this afternoon I found something that will thrill Ava, Liv, and Grandma, but it doesn't really make me happy!


Okay, I admit, it's kind of a cute weiner dog, and it has a funny, raspy little bark. Again, I don't know if this is a permanent resident or a visitor. Yesterday there was a black lab in the back yard. Who knows what might be there tomorrow!

11 comments:

Steph Thompson said...

Only you could end up with a weiner dog for a neighbor!

Matt-n-Jef said...

A blog for your class is a great idea. And what a way for parents to know what is going on in their kids' school. Nice job!!!!

~Cynthia~ said...

I have visited your school blog and thought it was a great idea to keep the parents more connected. I'm glad it is becoming more popular. I'm grateful I never had to send my kids off to daycare, but if I had to, it would be great to actually be able to see what they have been doing. You are doing a great job with it. Keep up the good work!!

Sheryl said...

Did you say a WEINER DOG? You don't even KNOW how I am hoping it is a permanent resident. It is time that you quit dissing on the little guys and realized what a noble breed they are! You dog may be majestic, but there is nothing quite as delicious as a weiner dog in one of those little 'bun' costumes!

And now I will check out your class blog. I remember you posted something one day from it, but it never occurred to me to go there. (I'm not that bright. Something I have always regretted)!

Nate said...

I think it is a fabulous idea Jen, but DO NOT let it take priority over this blog. You have a responsibility and a duty to have at least 3 posts a week on this blog. Now that I know you are diverting your attention from us; I will be watching.

I wish Liv and Lex's teachers would set up a blog. It is a great way to communicate to a lot of people at one time.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I am rooting for the weiner dog! Really I am hoping you get good neighbors but a weiner dog would be a fine addition to any neighborhood.

I've checked out your work blog a couple times and I was going to comment but didn't want to be a creep! I think it is such a great idea, I regularly hear the "nothing" comment when I ask about my kids day.

Sheryl said...

I went ahead and posted a comment on your work blog. Maybe that will help get the ball rolling and others will do it too.

Jen said...

Nate, I will never let anything take priority over this blog!

Julie said...

Wow! What a great idea, being a grandma of kids that are in day care I would have loved something like a blog. They are at a great day care, the teachers love them and they have done some small photo albums for them. Katie just moved up in day care and her former teacher saved Kaite's papers all year and gave her a book of all her "projects". Kaite loves it.

Jen said...

We compile books for the kids in our daycare too. I watch every day as some parents pick up all of their children's papers and throw them straight into the garbage can as they walk out the door, and I can see how disappointed those children are. I figure that if I save the best stuff and put it in a book maybe those parents will be willing to keep the book.

Sheryl said...

Whoa, I can't imagine what kind of parent throws the kid's stuff away like that. It's a different world with a whole other set of values.