Monday, October 6, 2008
Painting Injury
I don't want to hear anyone else say, "If you don't like the way the paint turned out you can always paint again." My elbow has been killing me since I first started painting 2 months ago. Two weekends ago it hurt so bad that I was in agony just trying to start my lawn mower, and I finally decided that it was time to see the doctor. From what I could gather from his explaination I have hurt a tendon that connects to my elbow and a nerve that runs down my lower arm. (After I left I thought that I should have had him write the names of the nerve and tendon down for Ang, but I wasn't quick enough.) As a result I get to wear these loveley braces for the next 4 weeks. I also opted to get a steroid shot in my elbow now rather than wait a few weeks to see if the braces take care of the problem and risk having to go back. Even though the doctor claimed that he was injecting a pain killer along with the steroid that was the most painful injection I have ever had in my life. I never want to paint again.

Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
12 comments:
A shot in the elbow? Is there any muscle there to shoot that into? Having broken my elbow twevlve years ago (which still by the way, I can't rest on it)OKAY... OUCH!!!
I am so sorry. I had a steroid shot in my foot a couple of years ago and it was the most painful thing I have ever had, so I know what you mean. I hope it helps the pain and I hope the braces work...Love you
We are getting old Jen. Although I don't have any lingering effects from our house painting, I feel pain every morning when I wake up. The problem is, Ang doesn't give me a lot of compassion when I tell her that I can't clean the house or do yard work because my back hurts.
I hope you feel better and the up side is, you have a great reason to take the rest of the year off from painting!!!
Well, for shizzel! Who would have thought you could get a painting injury! Maybe Ang could investigate that as a specialty. There may be more people out there needing treatment for this.
So, since I am one of the idiots that said "if you don't like the color you can always paint it again", let me say if you don't like the color pick a new one and I will paint it again for you.
I rest my case! If it can happen to you it does....ha ha. I am sorry that sounds painful.
Nate, I am definitely feeling old, and I have been feeling old since I turned 30, almost 7 years ago. They really don't lie when they say that things start to go down hill at 30.
Mom, when my doctor heard that I had been painting he said, "I know exactly where it is hurting you. Here and here, right?" And he was right! Apparently this is not an uncommon problem.
It has been 24 hour since my shot and I can't even describe how much pain I am in right now. I am really wishing that I had some narcotic pain killers right now. One of the moms at work told me that her sister got the same shot for a similar problem years ago, and she recalled that the pain was intense for a couple of days and then it got a lot better. I am really hoping that it gets a lot better soon!
Okay, any of you sisters out there have any left over pain meds? Your sister could use a couple.
Jen if I didn't love you so much I would slap you silly!
I am guessing it was your ulnar nerve for sure because it runs pretty superficial behind the elbow but as for the tendons it could be a few... tendon of flexor carpi ulnaris maybe most likely, there are a lot of muscle attachments in that area so I don't know! I think it is called cubital tunnel syndrome, but we did upper extremeties like a month ago so I don't really know what I am talking about.
What we do know is that if it can happen, it will happen to JEN!!! Good grief take a break woman.
Just remember Jen...Painting doesn't build character, it only reveals it...and for you, its revealed that you will go to any length to get out of painting the rest of your house.
I wonder what your "painting elbow" has in common with your father's "tennis elbow"?? He used to have to wear that brace all the time. I know any of the problems I have that I don't like; I blame them on bad genes passed on by my parents!!!!
When I did a fair bit of painting here I ended up with Bursitis, sorry no idea how to spell it, in my shoulder. I had a shot in my shoulder that frankly didn't do much. My first time golfing that next spring it hurt like heck on the first hole, after that I never felt it again! Maybe you need to take up golf!!
This is what I love about blogging...there are just as many opinions and suggestions as there are loons blogging.
I like Nate's idea of blaming bad genes as long as they are not mine, and somehow I don't see Jen ever taking up golf. But, it is a good idea!
Yeah, I'm probably not going to take up golf at this stage of my life. I do blame all of my problems on my father. I loved the man, but he passed on a lot of bad genes.
Post a Comment