Saturday, October 25, 2008

Relief Soceity Retreat

We had our annual Relief Society Retreat last night. I am on the planning comittee and some of you will remember my griping and moaning about the experience last year. We had meetings on almost a weekly basis for 5 months fighting over what to eat, how to decorate, what kind of activities to have, what the theme should be, and anything else that could be fought over. Our ward had two Relief Societies each with about ten members on the committee so we could never come to a consensus on anything. I was all about doing things as quickly, cheaply, and easily as possible, but my vote apparently didn't count. The retreat was held at a cabin at the top of Big Cottonwood Canyon. The cabin is huge and beautiful, but it was a really tight fit for the 150 people who showed up. Dinner was absolute chaos and we worked feverishly all night to feed everyone and get the place cleaned up.

This year we had only one meeting, which was fabulous. We now have 3 Relief Societies and basically the presidents got together and planned the whole evening themselves. We were asked to be at the cabin as early as possible to help with set-up and preparation. I chose not to take the day off work and I got up there at 5 p.m. I'm not sure why things were so much easier this year, but everything was done by the time I got there. I asked if there was anything I could do and I was told that I could dump a couple of bags of salad into 2 big salad bowls which took me about one minute to do. Then I made my way over to a corner where two teachers from Davis were sitting in the comfy chairs and we chatted for about 2 hours until dinner started. One of the teachers was freaking out that she had to administer the ACT test this morning and she couldn't find anyone to help her with it. Apparently 2 adults are required to be in the room during testing, so I volunteered.

After dinner and a very short speaker the gathering broke up. I helped with clean up for a few minutes but I felt like I was just in the way. I figured since I spent hours washing dishes last year someone else could do it this year, and I was out of there by 9. This morning I headed over to the high school and got paid $75 to read a book for 4 hours while the students took the test. My only assignment was to gather up and count the 29 booklet when the test concluded, so all in all it hasn't been a bad weekend.

This is a picture of the cabin. It is more impressive from the other side, but it is almost completely obscured by trees. It is probably almost as big as the Heritage, but it only has one big gathering room and more bedrooms. Unlike the Heritage it is absolutely gorgeous. The owners are also the owners of Modern Display, so it is beautifully decorated.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now that is a cabin I might like to visit. I think you definitely deserved to take it easy this year at the retreat, and it sounds like it was a pretty good time. I am so disapointed that you didn't forge your way through the obscure forest to capture the perfect blog picture!

Jen said...

I thought about trekking through the woods for a better picture but I was afraid that there would be so much to do that I just rushed in. In retrospect I should have hiked around for a while.

Sheryl said...

So, when you said that you did absolutely nothing today on my blog, you lied. You actually read a book and made money.

I need a full time job like that. I am glad that the retreat wasn't such a hassel this year. Probably because there were only 3 people invovled vs 20. That always simplfies things.

~Cynthia~ said...

I want to make 75 bucks reading a book!! Free meals, money for reading. How come I can't get in on some of this????

I'm glad you had a nice evening at the cabin, but what I am puzzling over is 3 Relief Societies? in one ward?....this so doesn't make sense. I have heard of 2 or 3 nurseries in a ward but Relief Societies?...I can't even imagine.

Jen said...

My singles ward has almost 400 members, so we do have 3 Relief Societies and 2 Priesthood Quorums. It makes it really hard to get to know people. I wish that they would divide the ward and maybe move one of them to Davis County, but I'm not holding my breath.

~Cynthia~ said...

Ah,makes a little more sense now. I forgot it was a singles ward, but that is still crazy. It seems like it would make more sense to just divide the ward,since they in essence have divided it anyway.

Grandmajoann said...

What a beautiful cabin and I would love to see the interior. I can imagine how it is decorated. I think that was a perfect weekend for you. No blisters, no sore arm, 75$ and a book read. How nice. Love ya.

Denise said...

Jen...in case anyone didn't know you really summed up in this blog how tight with money you are LOL. I love you.

Alyssa Findlay said...

Hey I just wanted to let you know I just tagged you to list 7 random things about yourself. Questions? Read my blog.

Jen said...

I know that I am tight with money, and I am proud of it!