Saturday, November 8, 2008

Fun In The Yard

While Nate and Liv have been raking leaves I have been trying to clean up my park strip flower bed. Some of the plants are still looking good, so I only filled up two big garbage bags this week. After I cleaned up the bed as much as I could I decided to plant the bulbs that grandma gave me a few weeks ago. As I was walking past my gas meter on my way to the garage I noticed an odor that smelled like when you turn the gas on to a stove burner but don't light the pilot light. I called Questar and about 30 minutes later I had a technician replacing my gas meter while I planted the bulbs. This is the third time that I have smelled a gas leak since I have moved into my home. Luckily I seem to have a pretty good nose for it, and now I have a nice shiny new gas meter.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well I guess it is good that you have such a keen sense of smell, that is a little scary though.

You are planting bulbs, and I am continually digging up the hundreds of them that the previous owners here randomly planted.

Grandmajoann said...

Hey, have Ang send us some. We love bulbs. That is a little scary to have a leak like that. Once I backed into one of our meters and the gas was just shooting out. When we called they said, just leave it alone until we get there and don't light a match! But, that was scary too. It could blow up the whole house couldn't it?

Jen said...

They don't seem to act like it is a big deal when I call, but they always send someone right out.

Anonymous said...

It is amazing how quick they send someone out. We had our carbon monoxide detector go off a year or so ago, when Nate called they told him to open some windows and get out of the house immediately and they had a guy there in about 15 minutes. When he came he did all sorts of tests but nothing was ever changed. He said it could be from someone leaving their car running in the garage below us. Anyways I had nightmares for a week worrying about it!

Nate said...

I am a sketcher about the smell of natural gas as well. We turned on our gas fireplace last week and I was worried the entire time that the house was filling up with gas.

I read through the whole manual on it, but I am still not comfortable with the way it operates. At least with wood stoves you can tell when you are getting poisoned by smoke! If you were around, Jen, I'd have you over sniffing around our house.

Denise said...

I am with Nate...I am totally freaked out by natural gas.

Sheryl said...

I love bulbs too, and have seen a few tulips and daffodils around in the spring but I have never seen bulbs for sale in the stores. I wanted to try a few this year, but I never have gotten around to sending off for any.

I will just come up and enjoy yours.