Sunday, November 23, 2008

Nothing Much

I don't really have anything to write about, but since I haven't really had anything to write about for a while now I figured I might as well just check in.

I just finished making roll dough for my ward Thanksgiving dinner tomorrow. I am hoping that they will rise. Last time I made rolls for myself they didn't rise, so I bought new yeast and I am keeping my fingers crossed. I didn't go to the dinner last year, but the year before they ran out of food and apparently it is such a famous dinner that people who have no connection to the ward have been showing up in droves for the last few years, so this year there will be a bouncer (counsellor in the bishopric) standing at the one unlocked door to let people in. We will see how it goes.

My old Christmas lights were looking kind of sad and the colored coating on the glass was peeling off, so I decided to invest in some new outdoor lights. I decided to go with the Energy Star lights which advertise that they use 98% less energy than traditional lights. I believe the claim because they are certainly not very bright. However, they are supposed to last for up to 20 years, and you can connect up to 87 sets of lights to one outlet, so it's not all bad. If I could afford it I would connect 87 sets of lights to my outlet and light up the giant pine tree in my front yard just like the people who live next to the Farmington cemetary. I tried to take a picture of my lights but since they are not very bright and my camera is not fancy enough to take pictures in the dark it didn't turn out very well.

Cynthia and Alyssa stopped by my house yesterday while I was putting up my Christmas lights. That was a nice surprise.

I checked out the link on Jef's blog where you can go to make snowflakes on the computer and I am now completely obsessed. I may not be able to blog for a while because I will be too busy making snowflakes.

6 comments:

Denise said...

That is awesome that the bishopric will be bouncing! And get real about the snowflake business!

~Cynthia~ said...

I was very impressed that Jen had Christmas lights up on her house. Her house is darling and she has done a really great job with all that she has done to it. I was really hoping to have time to stop by Jo's house too and see where she lives, but we were running later than I expected and I needed to get to dad's also. Someday I want to come up and see where all the Tilley girls are living. I haven't seen anyone in so long. I also got to see the new Davis High for the first time, and was amazed how big and how different it looked.

Sheryl said...

I would like to see 87 strands of lights! How cool would that be? Jen could be the Clark Griswold of the neighborhood.

I like the idea of the bouncer at Thanksgiving dinner. I wonder if he can be bought? What if people slip him a $20.00? Would he then let them in? Hhhmmmm.

I, also, like making the snowflakes. I got fancy on my last one and have a star in the middle that is the topper for trees all around the flake. Try it! You might like it.

Anonymous said...

I am also in favor of you hooking up 87 strands of light, in fact, I will be extremely disapointed if you don't! I want you up on the roof with a staple gun and an endless string of lights.

By the way my rolls didn't raise last year for Thanksgiving either, this year I said forget it and bought rhodes rolls, they never fail me! Of course I am only cooking for 4 people so it is affordable for me to buy 1 package versus enough for an entire ward.

I told Nathy that he is in charge of rigging up some lights, I am so excited to have a house to decorate. I really would love to do something cool on the porch, but I feel like it would all just blow away. I really would love to put up a big bushy christmas tree but I don't know how I could make it work.

Jen said...

Luckily I don't have to make rolls for the whole ward, I just have to make 2 dozen, and to my relief they have risen and are currently being baked.

You know that if I could afford 87 strands of lights I would have them, and I would be the Clark Griswold of the neighborhood.

Matt-n-Jef said...

Come on Denise.. you haven't even tried the snowflake business. It is very addictive. I will have to find the website that I found last year with the most amazing flakes. (such as you) LOL and post them.