People have been asking me what I am going to do now that Tick is gone, so this is my plan. I have applied to a greyhound rescue group to adopt a retired racing dog. I mailed my application today. If my written application is approved then I will be invited to the home of the people who run the organization in Ogden for a personal interview. If I pass the interview a representative will then bring a couple of greyhounds to my house for an inspection, and to see if there is anything in or about my home that would disqualify me. If I pass the home inspection I have no idea how long it might take before I actually get a dog. My understanding is that they get the dogs from Colorado, but this particular organization does not have pictures or profiles of adoptable dogs on their web site. If you want to look at some adoptable greyhounds you can go to www.recycledracers.org and click on available dogs to view some profiles. These dogs are in Colorado, but I don't know if this the place that the Utah group gets their dogs from.
If, for some reason, I do not qualify to adopt a greyhound, then I will be going to one of the local animal shelters to find a dog that strikes my fancy.
10 comments:
I am not ready for another dog. It does help that we still have Emily. But Dalmatians are my fav. I have actually gone to the Dal rescue sites as well. Rescueing them was more rampant when the Dalmatian movies came out, because so many people were caught up in the idea of it and found out that Dals were not the best dogs around kids.
I am just afraid if I get another Dal that it will bring up too many emotions and I will always be comparing to Bryce. My next pup will definately be a shelter dog.
I think that is a way cool idea. Knowing that you get to help a dog that may not have anywhere else to go. Great Plan!
I hope you aren't having too difficult of a time with your loss. She has been a friend for a long time. That was very interesting reading about you possible greyhound ownership. Good luck on that.
Good plan! A couple of the rescue dogs we looked at when we were trying to find a pup for xmas had similar requirements. I can't wait to see the new pup!
I checked out the adoptables. I like Cindy. It is too bad that Tilly has been adopted already. You could have a dog named Tilly Tilley. Of course, if you were willing to have a male, Johnson Tilley would have been a fine choice. You could have called him "The" for short!
Yay for greyhounds! I hope the process is not too long and drawn out. I can't imagine why you would not pass and have a dog soon. I think it is exciting. Tick was not able to do the hikes and things with you anymore and it will be so fun to enjoy that stuff with a young dog. Keep us posted. xoxo
Before you have the interview, you need to watch the 30Rockefeller episode from this season when Liz is being interviewed and inspected to adopt a kid. Here I think that you will find some helpful pointers, like if the interview is turning south....simply knock the person out so they are temporarily disoriented and forget that they have already interviewed you!
Jen, the best thing about most Greyhounds is that they are NOT cat safe.
That alone now makes them my dog of choice! (I am lying. I still like the IDEA of a wiener dog.)
P.S. Stephanie, welcome back. Please blog your house. ;-}
It's true, I do not need a dog that is cat friendly. I like all of the female dogs listed on the sight, and I like the fact that they are all brindle. My perfect dog would be white with brindle spots.
It is kind of hard to wait, though. I stopped in at PetsMart today and they had a boxer/shepard mix that I liked.
Just do me a favor and call me when one of these events happens, as I do not get on my blog everyday. Call me if you need anything. I love you!
Post a Comment