So, I think that I've decided to go with a shelter dog instead of adopting a greyhound. I went up to the Davis County animal shelter today, and it just broke my heart. I wanted to take them all home. Because I am never going to be able to make a decision by myself, I need some input. Anyone who is in the area and wants to meet me at the Davis County animal shelter on Thursday at 3:15 is welcome to do so. I am also going to be going out to the West Valley animal shelter on Friday at 3:30 if anyone is interested in making the trip with me.
For those of you who cannot come and help me in person, I would still like some input. At the moment, these are our candidates.
This little girl is pure Pit Bull, and she is about 6 month old. She has the wide Pit Bull snout and huge paws. I think she is an ugly little thing, but she is a major lover! She couldn't get enough of licking my hands.
This Australian Shepard is about 1 year old. She is very friendly and as a plus she is already spayed and housebroken!
This mutt is estimated to be 1 or 2 years old. If she could have melted through the bars and into my arms she would have.
This is the dog that I will be going to West Valley to see. Her profile says that she is a Pit Bull/Lab mix, but that face looks like boxer to me. She is about 2 years old.
This is not the picture of the dog I saw, but it was the closest one I could find. The dog that I saw was darker brown in the areas that this dog is black, and she is some kind of a smaller cattle dog. She was so scared that she wouldn't really come out into the open, but she is full grown and she looks like she is about the size of Butch.
For those of you who cannot come and help me in person, I would still like some input. At the moment, these are our candidates.
This little girl is pure Pit Bull, and she is about 6 month old. She has the wide Pit Bull snout and huge paws. I think she is an ugly little thing, but she is a major lover! She couldn't get enough of licking my hands.
This Australian Shepard is about 1 year old. She is very friendly and as a plus she is already spayed and housebroken!
This mutt is estimated to be 1 or 2 years old. If she could have melted through the bars and into my arms she would have.
This is the dog that I will be going to West Valley to see. Her profile says that she is a Pit Bull/Lab mix, but that face looks like boxer to me. She is about 2 years old.
This is not the picture of the dog I saw, but it was the closest one I could find. The dog that I saw was darker brown in the areas that this dog is black, and she is some kind of a smaller cattle dog. She was so scared that she wouldn't really come out into the open, but she is full grown and she looks like she is about the size of Butch.
The last dog on my list was a Bluetick Coonhound puppy, about 5 months old. This is not the acutal puppy, but this is what she looks like . She was a very happy little girl.
Please give me your input and let me know what you think. I need all of the help that I can get! Vote in the poll on the sidebar and/or leave a comment.
23 comments:
Ok, so I have cast my votes. I had to vote for 3 since I am not yet able to narrow down to one dog. In order of cuteness I like Australian Shepherd and the mutt. But, I really like the idea of the coonhound. I did a little research on them, and this is what I found: http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/bluetick.htm
They may be a little sketchy.
The problem is that if you go by the breed profiles every breed could be sketchy. We all know the reputation of pit bulls, but I talked to a teacher at Davis who has a couple and she raves about what wonderful dogs they are. Australian Shepards have a lot of health problems and are supposed to be terrors if they don't have a job to do. That goes for all of the herding dogs. This is why I am having such a hard time deciding!
True, I guess most dogs are bred to DO something. You will just have to go with your gut. Or heart.
I like the pitbull, Kays friend had one and it was the nicest dog I have ever met and great with both of my kids!
Brian votes for the little pit bull, Ava wants the coon hound
I vote the little pit or the sheperd. PS peanut is a sheperd and she doesnt have any job to do other than bringing sexy back!
Ok, I love herding dogs so I am bias, but maybe not for you. However, you could totally get one and start doing agility with it! That would be so fun. I would even come with Butch and do it. We could meet fun people!!! If not I say the hound :)
Nutter-butt has certainly succeeded with that!
Rick voted for the Aussie and the mutt.
I can't believe you are ready to get another dog already. You are stronger then I am. It is so hard to choose between one dog over the other. I am like you, I just hate taking one from the shelter. I like the Australian Shephard and the last two.. This site is from the show on Animal Planet Dogs 101.. will give you the best breed for your particular situation.
http://animal.discovery.com/tv/dogs-101/dog-resources/index.html
Nutter-Butt is NOT bringing sexy back. She may think that she is the cute skinny sister, but we all know better!
We have an Australian Shepherd across the street and it is a very mellow dog. In fact, when their garage was on fire, she was sleeping on the couch, and the firemen kept going right on past her when they were looking for a dog that was supposed to be in the house, thinking she was a stuffed animal. They finally discovered she was the dog they were looking for and brought her out to safety.
Oh, and the thought of anyone getting a pit bull scares me to death. There are just too many instances in the news down here where they have mauled someone to make me think I would ever take a chance on one of those, but then of course, I would never have any kind of dog at all, so my opinion probably doesn't count. :-)
We need them all! This was the problem I had going to the shelter's they all NEED to come home with me!
I liked the pitt and the mutt and the cattle dog the best, just can't narrow it much more! I can't wait to see who you actually bring home.
Okay I may like the mutt the best just because she wanted to melt into your arms.
Bella is a working dog to and I have noticed she likes to "herd" Baby so I figure she will be kept busy enough!
Cynthia's story about the aussie is killing me. That is hilarious!
I also voted for the Pit Bull, but I also like the mutt and the shephard. Right now I can't imagine having anything but Bella and Baby.
Having a puppy is definitely a lot of work, but it is worth it. I think you should just get two of them because if you think one dog is fun, two is even better!
Two dogs! Two dogs! Two dogs!!!!!!
Get a big and a little, you need!!!
Think about the movie About A Boy you can't live on an island you need people, and by people I mean dogs!
Nate and Ang, if I could afford 2 dogs I would love to have 2 dogs. When it costs me $200+ to board 1 dog for 1 week, I can barely afford to go on any vacations as it is!
I honestly don't think its about the pit bull breed. Its about the idiots that own them. Not to be racist.. but I was just thinking today while I was taking Emily for a walk, that Black people and Mexicans shouldn't be allowed to have PitBulls.. They are the problem with the PitBulls.
I've done a lot of reading about Pit Bulls in the last couple of days, and I do think that they get a bad rap, especially when they are owned by "macho" men of any race who think that their tough dog is an extension of their masculinity.
There are a couple of points that argue against the Pit Bull for me. First, because they have been bred to hunt and attack, they have a very strong prey drive and when they decide to go after another animal they have almost a tunnel vision and they can end up hurting anyone who stand in their way. Anyone who spent time with my dad's dog, Isa, knows what that is all about. The second point is that although they don't necessarily bite any more than any other breed of dog, they are so powerful that when they do it can have serious and even deadly consequences. As much as that little puppy appeals to me, I can't imagine any of the parents in my child care being okay with me bringing my Pit Bull for show-and-tell, no matter how gentle and loving she might actually be.
At this point I am leaning toward the Coonhound. Jo will be meeting me at the shelter tomorrow afternoon, and we will see what my second impression is.
So, I vote for the cattle dog. It sounds like she needs love the most. (And I don't think you have to worry too much about the pit bull, they're not all bad.)
We have always wanted a coonhound... the suspense is killing me!!!
COON HOUND! COON HOUND! COON HOUND!
Two dogs two dogs two dogs!!!! You can get one of us to watch them and not board. If we all go I will make Sean watch them!
Post a Comment