Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Tick is Gone


A few days after Christmas I noticed a lump on the back of Tick's right leg. Those of you who knew Tick knew that she was a lumpy animal, but I could see right away that this lump was different. Not only did it look different from her other lumps, but it was in the same place where I had a cancerous tumor removed about a year and a half ago. Since Eric and I had already talked about not putting her through any more surgeries, I just waited and watched. The tumor grew really fast, and this morning I noticed that her entire leg was swollen. I knew that wasn't a good sign, so I called and made an appointment for her. Eric said that the cancer had spread to the lymph node in her leg and that the blood wasn't able to circulate well through it any more. He said it would be a matter of days before she died, and since I did not want her to suffer I decided to have her euthanized.

The bright spot in it all was that she hadn't seemed to suffer up to this point. I could tell that her leg wasn't bending much when she walked, but she was a happy girl and anxious for her treats right up to the very end. I didn't have to go into work today, so she spent the morning chasing her treat ball, eating pig ears, and snuggling on the couch with me.I got her on January 26, 1996, so I had her just 6 days short of 12 years. I don't have the words to write a lovely tribute like Jef did for Bryce, but I will miss her.

12 comments:

Julie said...

I am so sorry, I know she was a good friend to you. How lucky you were to be able to play and snuggle with her right up to the end. We'll be thinking of you.
We love you!

Grandmajoann said...

My heart is breaking for you tonight. How sad for you. She was a good companion to you and I know you will miss her. Snuggling is good. You do have a lot of memories and pictures to remember her by. Enjoy them.
Love ya.

Anonymous said...

I can't believe Tick is gone, I am totally at a loss for words. I am so sorry Jen. I am so glad to hear that she didn't have to suffer much. Love you Jen.

Denise said...

Dang it Jen! I wish I was there with you. I LOVE YOU SO MUCH! I know how hard this is for you. You were a wonderful mommy to her and she loved you so much. You made a great and hard decision to put her down. She will always be with you. Xoxoxo

iMzOOL said...

oh no. i am so sorry for your loss. that is comforting to know that she didn't have to suffer--what a hard thing to do. you are in my prayers.

Jessica said...

So sorry to here that Tick is gone. I am glad that she did not have to suffer and think that you did make the right choice.

Nate said...

I was just remembering the other day how Tick, Lucy, and Copper used to beast around. I remember living with you in Farmington when Tick was a puppy. She really was a great dog and I can't imagine how you must feel. Belly has only been with us for a month and I can't imagine anything happening to her.

Jen said...

Thanks for all of your kind words.

Liv said...

oh my gosh Jen i feel soooooooo bad for Tick, even though i wasnt there i almost started crying. if one of my dogs died i would cry soooo hard that i mite stay home for a day because i would be crying the hole day.

Sheryl said...

Well, I am certainly late! For some reason I think I look at the blogs everyday and then I miss something like this. I don't know how that happens.

I knew that girl would go with a treat in her mouth! I'm glad that you had a good last day together and that there was no suffering involved. Whenever you get those little whiffs of doggy gas as you go through the house, you will know she is still there drooling for a bite of your dinner.

Love you.

Matt-n-Jef said...

OMG!!! Jen.. I know that I can truly say, I know what you are going through.. Tick deserves a memorial at www.pet-memories.com

I am so crying right now. I kiss Bryce's little box every day and have now layed flowers on it. I am so sorry about your loss. Darn dogs don't show their pain. They can't.. they have this mentality that if they do, they will be the lesser of the pack. That's why it is so hard. We have no idea how much pain they are in, and before we know it, they are gone. Such troopers they are..

Jen said...

Liv, if I could have stayed home and cried all day I would have. I did cry a little bit at work.