Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Allergy Testing

I have been suffering from "seasonal allergies" for about 10 or 15 years now. Last spring in addition to the lovely sneezing and itchy eyes I broke out in hives on my neck and chest for about 3 months. When the hives returned last week I decided it was time to get help. In the past I have seen my regular doctor and haven't gotten much help, so I decided to see an allergy specialist. My new doctor said that they don't usually do allergy testing on first time patients, but the hives concerned him so he decided to test me right away. The first round of testing includes plants and animals. I got 48 needle pricks on my arms and I found out that I am very allergic to mountain cedar and box elder trees. I am also allergic to cottonwoods, sage brush, wheat pollen and a few other plants that I don't remember. I am not allergic to any household pets. I have to go in again on Thursday for food allergy testing, and then again next Tuesday and I don't know what they will be testing me for then. Once I finish the tests I will start desensitization shots which should be a lot of fun. I had a bunch of hives at the injection sites for about 2 hours, but now they have faded and I just have needle track marks running up and down both of my arms.
Below is a picture of what my neck has looked like for the past week.

11 comments:

~Cynthia~ said...

I'm glad you are getting to the bottom of it. With all the hiking you do those are not good things to be allergic to. While shots are not pleasant, I hope they will bring you some relief.

Anonymous said...

Of course you would be allergic to plants you encounter while hiking!!! What a pain, I hate shots, but hopefully it will all be worth it. I think you have suffered long enough!

Sheryl said...

Wow. The hive look horrify and itchy. The testing sounds like a pain too, but I have to agree that if it gets you some relief it will be worth it.

I had allergies in Las Vegas, and the first year we were here. I do still get a little itchy around Dec and Jan. and sometimes when it is ultra windy, but I have not had a Kenalog shot for 2 years. I don't know what changed but I'm glad it did. I hope they get you all figured out.

Denise said...

You have been thru HELL Jennifer! You poor thing :( I hope it is worth it though and things get better.

iMzOOL said...

ooh. i feel all itchy now. you could always resort to live in a bubble. i would be willing to craft the bubble for you--how about we make it out of cedar wood. :)

DHS Child Care Center said...

Michelle! Are you trying to kill me?

Sheryl said...

Mitch...you are evil

Nate said...

It sounds like with all the things you are allergic to, we do need to put you in a bubble. We would then have to play Trivial Pursuit and see if you are a Mups or a Moors (I can't remember if your are a Seinfeld fan. If you're not, you will probably not see the humor in my remark).

I guess we just chalk another problem up to bad genetics. I'm sure it sucks, but I think at least knowing what you need to stay away from will help.

Grandmajoann said...

I am sure learning a lot about you with these blogs. I can't imagine having all those hives! I'll bet you have been miserable. I hope the shots work. At least make it less miserable. Keep us posted and don't scratch all those track marks on the arms!!!!

Alyssa Findlay said...

As an allergy sufferer myself, I would LOVE to get tested and find out exactly what I am allergic to! I mean, I have a prescription allergy medication for the seasonal stuff, but I know that there is more to it than that. For instance, every so often I used to wake up with hives. (sometimes on my FACE) Plus, I am 100% positive that I am allergic to cats.

Julie said...

OuchQ, good luck!