As posted earlier, I admit to having broken the door of my own washing machine in an attempt to get my shoes out after a button got stuck in the pump and the stupid thing wouldn't drain. I thought that my washer was covered under my home warranty, but after three days of calling when I finally got through to National Home Protection I was told that my policy did not cover the washing machine. I was so frustrated and angry that I said, "So what DOES my policy cover?" She started naming off appliances and then she came to the garage door opener. I didn't realize that my policy covered the garage door opener, and mine doesn't work, so I said, "Then send someone out to look at my garage door opener." She asked, "What's wrong with it?" "IT'S BROKEN" I replied. She gave me a claim number and told me to call Northern Utah Garage Doors. When the technician came out to my house he told me that the circuit board was dead, and they no longer made those circuit boards, so it would have to be replaced. I said, "Great, my home warranty should cover that." He told me that he would need authorization from the home warranty company before they could replace it. Four days later he called me back and said that they had been trying to reach National Home Protection for four days and no one ever answered their calls or returned their messages. I tried for another two days and got the same result, so I finally filed a greivance with my credit card company to stop payment on my policy, and I filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. Upon checking the company out with the BBB I found that they are a very shady company and they have had numerous complaints about them, so it doesn't look like they will be replacing my garage door opener or anything else.
Back to the washer, when the guy from Dan's Maytag came out and removed the button he asked for a down payment of $200 on the estimated $420 repair. I paid the money and he told me that it would probably take a week for them to get the parts in and then they would call to schedule a repair time. After a week and a half had passed I decided to call and see what the situation was. The dispatcher that I talked to said that she would look into it and call me back. Several hours later she called to tell me that one of the parts was not due in until June 6th (they wouldn't guarantee to have it by June 6th, that's just when it was due in). This was on May 17th. I told her that I had already been without a washer for 2 weeks and I couldn't wait another 3 weeks to get my washer repaired. She told me that she would check with the factory and see if they could send a part. I called back the next day to see what was happening and spoke with the manager. He told me that it would take them a couple of days to contact the factory and I told him that if the repair couldn't happen within a week I wanted my money back. He told me that a refund would require "company authorization" and I hung up angry. The next day I received a call from the dispatcher who said that Maytag policy is that they will not pull a part from the factory floor that is available through a supplier (even if it is back ordered), so I would be stuck waiting until June 6th. I again demanded my money back, and this time when she put me through to the manager he was very courteous and agreed to send me a check immediately. I went out last weekend and bought a new GE washer. It is NOT a front loader! It is their new high efficiency top loader, and so far I am liking it. After a $50 rebate from Questar it will have cost me only $30 more than repairing the old washer.
6 comments:
I believe you should be banned from using all appliances from here on out. You should take your laundry over to Jo's and let her do it for you. That is how Denise handled the broken washer situation, and it seemed to work well for her.
I think you should find a reputable home warranty company, wait a month or so, and then have them come out and replace your garage door opener.
The whole thing is so absolutely riduculous isn't it? It should not cost as much to repair a washing machine as it does to buy a new one, and a part should be able to get from anywhere in the country within a week.
I think I will steer clear of front-loading washers and home warranties.
I can't believe they wanted to charge you nearly the same amount of money to repair the dang thing as buy a new one. What a total rip off!
It sounds like your vacation cannot come soon enough!
Oh my gosh! What a nightmare for you. I am glad that you ended up buying a new washer. Now you know you will be okay for at least 20 years. Hey, we have to make plans to go to the Draper Temple! Maybe right after your vacation?
Grandma, my "old" washer was only two years old, so I am not counting on this one lasting 20 years. I would be happy with 10 years but I am not holding my breath for that either.
I've got to be honest with you. As happy as I am that you and your mom get to go to Mexico; I am equally as angry and jealous. I can't imagine why you would choose Mexico over Erie, but Ang told me that you may be doing both, and if so, I may be able to forgive you for going to Mexico without us (I repeat: MAYBE).
Post a Comment