Saturday, May 16, 2009

Odds and Ends

I have been getting my allergy shots for 3 weeks now. I go in twice a week and get four injections each time. The injections to my right arm are not causing me any problems, but the injections to my left arm are. Apparently the culprit is Tree Mix B, which contains the mountain cedar allergen. It burns going in and for the first 24 hours after an injection I have 2 hot, hard lumps on my arm. After that it bruises, and the injection sites appear to be scarring. Hopefully it will be worth it in the end. I have 3 more weeks on this schedule and then they will start extending the time between injections. Eventually I think I will only have to go in once every three months.

Shady is progressing with her training. Some days she is good, and some days she is bad. She doesn't ever bark at the neighbors anymore, which makes me happy. I have taken her over to the high school football field twice now to work with her off-leash. Of course she is always good while we are there. She barely leaves my side. Once we are back on the sidewalks or on the trail it is another story entirely.

On another note, Mom and I have booked a trip to Cozumel next month. We will be staying at the Wyndham from June 11th to the 16th. It can't come soon enough for me.

I have spent most of my day working on the yard. I bought three flats of flowers last weekend and when I got them all in the ground today I realized that I needed about another flat, so those will have to go in another day. Ever since I bought this house I have been in a rut with my annuals. I always get 2 flats of dahlias and 2 flats of snapdragons. I decided to be adventurous this year and go with something new.


Here we have my front flower bed. In the middle I have planted stock, then there is a ring of fading tulips, then petunias on the outside. When the tulips are done I will replace them with yellow and red snapdragons.
These little guys are verbena. They are really tiny right now, but after I finished planting them I noticed that the tag said to space them 15 inches apart. I space them about 4 inches apart. We will see how they turn out.

The purple and orange flowers are violas, the star-shaped red flowers are nicotaina, and then there are some snapdragons in the back. The ones with no blooms will be red zinnias and the tall stalks in the back are gladiolas.

Here I have some more petunias and snap dragons to fill in my front bed, and some dianthus that will go in my park strip. I am hoping that the dianthus will come back every year.

When these flowers started to come up I had no idea what they were. I had forgotten that Grandma gave me these bulbs last fall. I don't remember what they are called, but I love them. Thanks Grandma!
I also planted tomatoes, onions, jalapenos, and cayenne peppers for salsa. I would like to learn how to can salsa this fall. I am kicking myself for giving away those canning supplies when dad died. Eventually I am hoping that my peach tree produces enough fruit for canning as well.

8 comments:

Sheryl said...

Wow. How pretty is all that. I planted some snapdragons, marigolds and dinathus in the winter. The snapdragons were pretty, the dianthus didn't do much, and the marigolds all died. So much for trying to grow flowers in the desert. Yours always look so pretty. That's a lot of planting in one day.

That totally stinks that your shot gives you such a fit. My friend from work that had to do the shots used to come to work the next day with both arms swollen, red and hot. Not a lot of fun.

Denise said...

The yard looks great Jen! I am jealous about the vacation. I will never get to go on a vacation again I don't think. Its all I can do to get a few days off to go see Ang :( Poor me LOL. I guess thats the price you pay for being self employed. I love my job :)

Anonymous said...

Not so jealous about the allergy shots, but totally jealous about the vacation and the flowers! Like Denise, I am wondering if we will ever get to go on vacation again.

I am dying to get out in the yard and hoping to find some time to plant some flowers before Denise gets here. I only planted a few perennials last summer, lily's and husker red's. I was worried my lily's were not going to come back but they have greened up pretty nicely this spring so I am excited to see them flower. I thought the husker red's were flowers but I think they are more of a foliage that puts up flowers stems . They are looking really good to, I just need to get a few more perennials and some annuals for some more color. I am very sad to say my hibiscus did not make it through the winter.... I will be taking it back to home depot for a refund or a replacement!

Jessica said...

I like your choice of flowers. My mom plants verbaina alot and it does really well in her yard not so much in mine. So hopefully you have her luck and they fill in a little.

Hammers said...

Great flower choices! Your yard always looks fabulous. Need I remind you of how jealous I am of your vacation? One day...

~Cynthia~ said...

Your flowers are all so pretty and when they get all grown up your yard is going to be gorgeous. I'm so discouraged with weeds that I don't even have the motivation to want to plant flowers. I just want to spray weed killer on everything and cover it up with bark or something. Somehow in the past couple of years I've ended up with that nasty little low lying weed with the red viny stems that goes everywhere and is impossible to get rid of. I'm thinking I need a year of Triox to try and eradicate it. I just don't have the time it takes to keep up with weeds so then it seems like all my flower planting is for naught because everything looks terrible.

Julie said...

It's always fun to try new flowers. I've planted down the sides of the house some petunias, verbenia, zinneas and portulaca, and salvia. I've tried all of these before, some worked, some didn't but I'm a glutten for punishment so I'm trying them again. The front yard is going to wait until we get home from NEW YORK, yes we leave on VACTION this Saturday!!!! We are way excited and can't wait.
Good luck with the shots, I hope they eventually work.

Grandmajoann said...

I feel so bad for the misery you are having. Those darn allergies..
Your flowers look darling and I am sure they will beautiful in full bloom. The purple ball flowers are Allium. They come in different sizes. I love these. Glad they grew.