Shady and I hiked the Fernwood Trail in Layton this afternoon.

This is the view from the bottom of the trail.

Later we got to a spot that was burned a few years ago.

One happy coonhound enjoying the trail.

These are the tops of the mountains. We got close but we didn't quite make it all the way to the top today.




Here we are at the top looking down.

Here are a few statistics courtesy of the cool GPS unit Mom and Rick gave me.
Elevation at the trail head: 5228ft
Elevation at the point where I'd had enough: 7792ft
Total gain in elevation: 2567ft
Total miles round trip: 4.1
Trip duration 2 hrs 56 minutes
8 comments:
I think I really do miss those mountains, if only there was a way to combine our lush green tree covered terrain with your mountains... and as long as we were wishing throw an ocean and a moderate climate in and PERFECTION!!!!
That is pretty cool to have the statistics of your hike at your fingertips, I can't believe the gain in elevation was that much.
I agree with your description of the perfect place. I think that Kauai is the perfect fit.
The pictures of you dog don't do him justice he is adorable! (Not to say they aren't good pictures, he is just a dang cute dog) I need a good hiking buddy like that!
I can't believe the leaaves are starting to turn. It can't possibly be the end of summer already.
Not that I enjoy the heat, but it means you all will be dealing with snow. That said, that is a cool GPS unit if it tells you all of that. I had no idea!
Ah, Kauai!
Wow, what a hike! You have more endurance than I. I could walk for two hours, but hike? No way. And, I agree, Kauai for sure....When do we go? Beautiful pictures. The view down is as pretty as the view up.
Great pictures, I still envy all your your hikes.
Dan and i are leaving this wednesday for Vermont and Maine to check out the colors. We are way excited!
Those are really great pics! Where is that trail?
Turn east at the light by the two gas stations on highway 89 in Layton then make a left behind the gas station. Turn right when you come to Fernwood Drive. When that ends at a T turn right again and you are at the trailhead. You can go south on the Bonneville trail to Adams or north where you can follow Bonneville to Weber Canyon or you can turn off onto the Great Western Trail. The Fernwood Trail heads east just to the north of the parking lot. I'm told that it also hooks into the Great Western Trail at the top of the mountain, and that you can follow that trail all the way to Heber. I think that is probably a little too much for me.!
Post a Comment