Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Thanks for the Birthday Treats

Thanks to my family for the birthday treats.  Grandma took me out to lunch and Denise and Jo took me out to a movie.  Mom sent me a Target gift card which I used to purchase a George Forman Grill, and Angie sent me some gluten-free brownie mix.  The brownie turned out surprisingly well.  I will remember that brand in the future.  The best surprise came from Steph and Brian.  The came over on Saturday to install a drainage system next to my retaining wall.  While I was having lunch with Grandma they also installed three new doors on my 2 upstairs bedrooms and my bathroom.  Those of you who have never seen the old plastic accordian door on my guest bedroom door can't appreciate how exciting this is for me.  The other two doors were the flat, cheap sixty year old doors that were installed when the house was built, so it was great to have them replaced as well.  I will be doing some painting this weekend to get them looking nice.

On Friday Brian brought Ava over  while he was digging a trench for my drainage system.  I took her on a little hike and we collected all of the cool rocks that we could fit in our pockets.


Here is my coonhound with her latest prize.  It appears to be the pelvic bone and part of the spine of a deer.  She was thrilled with this find, and Jef will be pleased to know that I didn't make her put it down.  She carried it for about 20 minutes before she got sick of it. 
We had our third coyote encounter today.  I tried to take a picture of it, but I only had the camera on my phone and it doesn't have a zoom feature, so you couldn't really see the coyote.  Shady is very excited about the coyote scent and she bays about it.  It was funny to watch her today because she was following her nose and she never did see the coyote, but I watched it for several minutes before it ran away.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so glad the brownie mix was decent! It's amazing what a difference updated doors makes, we still have one of the ugly old solid pannel doors left but it is to the garage and we want a steel plated one... and we are too cheap to get one!

The picture of Shady with the spine and pelvis really makes me want to hurl... you never fail to creep me out!

iMzOOL said...

best family ever. happy late birthday jen. your house is looking great. oh accordion doors how you remind me of motor homes. my birthday was in september and i could have used steph redoing my whole bathroom—i guess i will have to take a rain check.

~Cynthia~ said...

It sounds like you made out very well on your birthday. The doors look really nice. How nice to have a brother-in-law that will lend you his services. I'm hoping my girls marry really handy boys that love helping their mother-in-law.

Sheryl said...

Oh my gosh those doors really do look nice. I knew they would, but that really makes a difference!

I am laughing about the coonhound smelling the coyote but not seeing it. Our dogs do the same thing with cats and bunnies. 'Tupid animals.

Steph Thompson said...

Well Shady is creepy, here I thought rat butt mouth was bad! Connie would have been on the coyote like stink on poop! Although she would have had a better view of the coyote because she would be riding high!