Monday, January 18, 2010

Phone Drama

It feels like forever since I've blogged, but there hasn't been much going on here.  Christmas break was much needed but over too soon.  In the couple of weeks since we've been back I've settled into my normal rotine of work, hiking the hound, watching some t.v. and sleeping.  Not very exciting, but it works for me.

This morning there was a little bit of snow on the roads and I didn't want to drive up to the trail head, so I took the dog for a walk here through town.  We walked over to the high school and I let her off leash to run around the football field for a while, then we walked back home.  Once at home I decided to shovel the half inch of snow off my driveway and walks, and since it wasn't all that hard I did Jean's driveway as well.  When I was done I came in and reached into my jacket pocket to take my phone out, and it wasn't there.  I always take it with me, but just in case I looked through the house to see if I could find it.  When I couldn't find it, I went over to Jean's house and asked her to call my phone just in case it was somewhere in the house and I wasn't seeing it.  I had no luck with that, so I decided to drive over to Jo's office and borrow her phone then retrace my route while calling from her phone and trying to listen for my ring tone.  At this point the snow was starting to melt, and even if I'd found my phone it probably would have been water damaged beyond repair, but I figured I had to try.  Once again, I had no luck.

Back around Thanksgiving time Jo and Denise were giving me crap about my lack of a texting plan and my lack of texting skills.  They were also giving me crap about being with T-Mobile when nearly everyone else in the family is with Verison.  When I replied that I was too cheap to upgrade to the texting plan Jo offered to add me to her family plan.   We never did it, but when it became clear today that I was going to need a new phone she offered again.  Since it only costs her another $10 plus taxes per month to add another line I was more than happy to agree to pay her $15 each month instead of having to pay $50 each month on my own for a plan without texting.

The bottom line is that I am now the proud owner of a new Samsung Intensity.  It has a qwerty keyboard so I can hone my texting skills, and it has a bright reddish-orange cover so it will be clearly visible if I drop it into a snow bank.  (My old phone was white, which did not help when I was looking for it in the snow.)  The bad part is that since I couldn't find my phone they couldn't transfer my data, so if you want me to have your cell phone numbers you need to e-mail or text them to me.  I was able to keep my old number, so you should all have it.

Sadly, there were a few photos that will be forever lost since I never got around to downloading them onto the computer.  My favorite was one of the coonhound with a frozen squirrelcicle in her mouth.

7 comments:

~Cynthia~ said...

Cell phones are one my favorite inventions, but they do bring a lot of drama at times. We have the Verizon family plan also,with me contributing more than my share to Richard, but less than what I would be on my own, so I'm glad you got a deal with Jo. It really does make more sense to go that route. I also have a Samsung with the qwerty keyboard and it has made texting so much easier. I'm not a major texter, but I love it for getting messages to the girls when they are at work or school, or out at night with their friends, when I know they are more apt to answer a text than to want to talk with me on the phone. Brittni's awesome phone just died, 7 days after the warranty was up, and she lost some pictures too. That is another bummer that seems to come with the territory of being a cell phone owner. Welcome to the world of easier texting, I'm sure you will enjoy it much better.

Tilley/Booth said...

Do greater!Love ya!

Tilley/Booth said...

Oh about that picture....I guess it's been a long time since Ive been here!

Nate said...

I am definitely expecting some texts from you Jen. It's a great way to stay in touch and if you ever want a quick response from Lex or Liv; it is the preferred method of communication.

It's nice to see that Jo is back with us. She's had Verizon for years and I don't think I've EVER received a text from her.

Anonymous said...

I loved my Samsung... sadly the second time it died the warranty was up and it was cheaper for me to get a different phone. I am glad Yolanda could get you a deal... for you friend, almost free!

Texting really is so convenient, I am glad you are finally on the wagon!

Anonymous said...

I forgot to mention my disgust at the squirrelcicle!

Jen said...

I was also disgusted about the squirrelcicle, but as you can imagine, the coonhound was absolutely giddy about it.