Saturday, February 13, 2010

HCG Diet Week 1

A couple of weeks ago Denise mentioned that she was starting the HCG diet.  I had thought about doing it before, so I asked her for some information about it.  With a little encouragement from Denise and my assistant Jamie (who has done the diet before) I decided to give it a try.  All the excercise in the world and a gluten-free diet weren't helping me, so I needed to do something else to try to get in shape.

The HCG diet protocol includes taking the hormone HCG either by drops put under the tongue or by injection, and following a very low calorie, very low carb diet for three to six weeks.  The claim is that you can lose about a pound per day.  After no more than six weeks you then boost your calorie intake to 1500 per day while still sticking to low carb foods for another three weeks.  You then slowly reintroduce carbs into your diet.  Jamie did the injections for three weeks, and I think she said she lost 26 pounds.  I chose to go with the drops because they were cheaper and because I'm really sick of being poked with needles every couple of weeks for my allergies.

Today is day six of my diet and I have lost 10.2 pounds and 2 inches from my waist and hips.  The first few days were really hard.  I struggled with being hungry all the time and with low energy.  Day four was absolute hell.  I had no energy at all and I was beginning to wonder if it was worth it.  It probably didn't help that I was coming down with a cold.  Luckily I turned a corner yesterday and I am feeling good again.  You aren't supposed to eat more than an apple for breakfast, and I'm still struggling with feeling so hungry that I'm sick in the mornings.  I have reintroduced diet soda in the mornings and that has helped.  I'm hoping to be able to keep this up for the next 4 or 5 weeks, and I would love to lose at least 40 pounds.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Holy Cow 10 lbs in 6 days!! That is awesome!! The thing is no matter what diet you are on I think the first week is the hardest, getting used to the reduction in food is torture.

I hit my goal weight this past week, it took me a MONTH to lose 8 lbs. I am just now starting to be obsessed with the exercise but the portion control is a struggle for me. I haven't felt this good for a year and a half since putting the weight on.

Keep it up and you will be totally beach babe ready for your Mexico fiesta!

Jen said...

Portion control is always a struggle. I'm hoping that my stomach gets used to the reduction in food, and when I go off the diet it is satisfied with smaller portions.

Congratulations on hitting your goal weight.

Grandmajoann said...

Jen, I think that is the diet that Matt went on to lose all his weight. He did wonderful, and is on it again as he was gaining a few. Jef said if he would quit eating pizza he wouldn't have to go on the diet. Good luck and I am impressed with 10 lbs in 6 days. Holy cow, that is success.

Sheryl said...

I'm counting on you to talk me through it. I HATE being hungry and have doubts as to whether or not I can really stick to 500 calories. It seems insane, but I don't want to feel fat any more, so I'm going to give it a go.

I am totally impressed with your week one. Especially with all the hiking you do. Totally awesome!

Anonymous said...

This diet seems ridiculously extreme BUT so does every diet to me... I hate dieting! Don't worry after I posted my comment I decided I better weigh in to check myself and DON'T WORRY I've gained two pounds back. GRRRRR! Losing weight is the hardest thing in the world and gaining it back is as easy as having dessert two nights in a row, it totally sucks!

Jen said...

With this diet they actually recommend that you limit your excercise, and I do find that I lose less on the weekends when we are hiking 2 times per day instead of one.

Anonymous said...

It is funny that you say that about losing less when exercising more because I lost the weight a little easier than Nate has, and I have only been walking and doing a strength training video a few times a week. Nate has been running is but off and hasn't seen the results he wanted to. INTERESTING.