Monday, July 21, 2008

Painting Purgatory

Well, you will all be happy to know that I have finally started my painting project. Never having given birth, I wouldn't know how it compares, but it is definitely not a fun process. I started with the ceilings today, and I will move on to the walls tomorrow. I began my project at 9:30 this morning and I finally finished at 7:30 this evening. After putting a coat on the kitchen and spare room ceilings I realized that I had accidentally purchased flat paint, which I hate. I ran back to Lowe's to exchange my other two gallons for satin, and then I got back to work. The kitchen ceiling was green, and it took three coats of paint to cover it all. Having a white ceiling in there has already made a HUGE difference. The den took two coats, but I think that I have been able to get away with one coat on the rest of it.

I also finally junked that horrible ceiling fan in my breakfast nook, and I have purchased a much classier looking one. Hopefully I will be able to figure out how to get it installed without calling an electrician!

My new windows will be installed on Friday, and now I just need Aaron to redo my roof.

I will post pictures tomorrow when I have finished the living room.

5 comments:

Denise said...

Ha ha purgatory!!! That is great. Well I am home now so call me to help with putting things like the freaking shed together!

Anonymous said...

Well I am jealous that you did the ceilings...we should have done ours. I guess you have more class and talent than us. Can't wait to see the pictures.

Nate said...

Jen...way to give Ang ideas...NO ONE LOOKS AT THE CEILINGS!! On another note...did you use primer or just paint? We primed the walls with 2 or 3 coats and then painted with 1 or 2 coats...it was a nightmare and I always wondered if we were better off just painting with a couple coats because the paint goes on so much thicker!!

I can't wait to see the pictures...make sure you post a before picture if you have one, because I never realized your ceilings were a dark color.

Sheryl said...

Oh, ceilings. I hate painting ceilings they are such a pain. I always just buy flat ceiling paint, so I will be interested to see what the satin looks like.

Are you as swutty as I have been doing the floor? It doesn't seem to matter what temperature I have the air conditioning set at, I am just a wet mess in that room. It is probably a constant hot flash from the trimming irritation!

Jen said...

I didn't prime the ceilings, but I am going to prime the walls. I don't have any really dark walls so I am just planning on doing one coat of primer and then a couple of coats of paint. I probably should have primed the ceilings, but I really didn't want to.

Yes, it is just as sweaty to paint as it is to put down floor tiles. I don't understand that because it really doesn't feel like you are working hard enough to justify all of that sweat.