Thursday, January 29, 2009

Narrowing It Down

I went back up to the shelter today, this time accompained by Colton and Jo, Jo's friend Lori and her son. A lot of the dogs that I looked at earlier in the week are gone. The Australian Shepard and the Pit Bull are no longer options, although there was an even cuter Pit Bull puppy today. I think that I have ruled out the Pit Bull just because I like to take my dog to work now and then, and I think that their reputation would make parents object to that. So here are my two favorites.

This is the Bluetick Coonhound that I looked at earlier in the week. She is a biggger than I remembered. The card on her cage claims that she is 5 months old, but we think that she is an adult. Lori tried to get a look at her teeth, and they appear to be adult teeth. She is also about 20 inches tall, so she shouldn't get much taller. On the plus side she should be out of the chewing stage, and while she was very excited to see us she wasn't very vocal. One thing that I worry about with a hound is that my neighbors will kill me over her baying.
This little puppy is three months old and they are calling her a Catahoula Cur, but she is clearly a Bluetick Hound. For those of you who don't know what a Catahoula looks like (I didn't) refer to the photo below. While she is absolutely adorable, she was chewing on my fingers and the bars like crazy, and she was howling her little head off.

I put a hold on the older dog, but if little is still there tomorrow I could change my mind. Feel free to give me your input, and feel free to suggest some names as well.

12 comments:

Julie said...

Wow, what a hard deceion...they are both adorable. It would be nice to not worry about teething and potty training, on the other hand would the younger be more trainable. Good luck on choosing, the great thing is whoever is chosen will have a wonderful life with you!

Jen said...

Unfortunately the older dog is not housebroken either, so I will have to potty train either way. I am hoping that she has better bladder control, anyway.

Sheryl said...

Yea! The coon hound wins. And by that I mean we get to choose between 2 coon hounds. :-}

I have to vote for the older one. It's markings are just so much prettier I don't think I could pass it up.

Sheryl said...

P.S. The Beaver also votes for the older one

Anonymous said...

I like the idea of the puppy just because Bella is at that exact same age and she is really coming along. She is sleeping through the night without a bathroom break and tells us when she needs to go during the day. The biting is still a bit of an issue but so far we haven't ever caught her chewing on furniture... just our hands! But since puppy school started that has gotten better too.

But like mom I really do like the markings on the older dog, she is a real pretty girl.

Two dogs... okay I won't go there again just get ONE!!!!!

Jen said...

They would make a cute pair, but I just can't go there right now. Now if Mom would just win the Powerball....

Matt-n-Jef said...

Well the good news is that all those adorable dogs are gone, which I hope means they were adopted. I believe the reason the younger dog was chewing at the bars and your fingers is because he/she truly needs attention and a lot of love, so I choose that one. I so hate to make a choice of who goes and who stays. Its heart wrenching to say the least. Take them both, I say.. Keep each other good company. Emily has been crying way too much these days. As much as I would like to get her a partner, she is not good with other dogs and I worry that she will chew into them. On the days that I don't take her for walks, she crys and makes me sad to go to work. And when I do take her for a walk, she runs up to the bed and gets all sad.. Its very hard.

Jen said...

Denise went up there to look at the dogs yesterday, and she talked to one of the staff members who told her that the vast majority of the dogs do end up getting adopted, and I figure that the cute little puppies probably go first. They don't have a time limit, so Denise was told that as long as the dogs are physically and mentally healthy they keep trying to place them.

Liv said...

i like both of the dogs i like the little ones well because I LOVE PUPPIES and you wouldnt have to get another dog as soon but if it was howling and howling and if its a puppy i bet it wont be potty.

Jen said...

I love puppies too, Liv. If it was summer and I could be home with her every day the puppy would be my first choice.

Nate said...

No matter which one you choose, you will be giving a great home to a dog that needs it. There are pros and cons to both as we have found out first hand, so I don't think you can go wrong. We need LOTS of pictures of whichever one you choose!

Denise said...

You know that I want both....and I want the puppy. I guess we will see when we get there!!!