It was a beautiful afternoon at the Refuge. I was worried that it would be muddy, but as long as we stuck to the roads we were fine.
Again, there is nothing better than a noble coonhound in her natural element. She was very well behaved on the walk despite the many wonderful scents there were to follow.
The only birds we saw were a few seagulls. Twice Shady did manage to track a small rodent, and she seemed shocked and a little nervous to actually find something. I didn't get a good look at them before they ducked into their holes, but they were probably rats. We passed a man who was retrieving dead rats from traps and heaping them on his ATV.I'm bummed that we won't be able to take advantage of these trails again until fall. The rat man was the only other person that we passed, and I enjoyed the solitude. The mountain trails are still going to be muddy for some time, and depending on where and when you go they can be overrun by people during the summer. I need to find out where I can access the Legacy Parkway Trail and check it out.
13 comments:
She does look quite noble! The legacy parkway trail is packed in the summer. You should be able to hook on to legacy atleast by Glover Lane in Farmington. I like to go to the Bountiful Pond in the summer by taking Legacy. It's not too crowded either. Or just bring her to the barn and walk thru the back to endless pastures along the canal.
That looks like a very cool place for a coonhound to play. I am amazed to hear that she was so well behaved. It seems like a perfect place for her to run you ragged.
Why do they close it? That really makes no sense to me that you are not allowed to use it in the summer months.
Jen, you amaze me. What a walker and hiker you are. What would you do without a dog to tag along? You know more trails and places to go than I have heard of. Hope Shady is okay after this outing.
Coonhounds don't like taking it easy! The pictures are gorgeous, I love a good solitary walk... I can't wait for some decent weather! We did manage to have one day this last week in the 40's and we took both the dogs out. Baby was so happy to get out and Bella is still a little nervous about walks. This was the longest one we have taken her on, it's like she doesn't realize it is supposed to be fun.
I am glad Shady did not bring a rat home!
I was also amazed that she behaved well, since our outings along the city streets usually leave me exhausted and irritable with her.
The refuge is open to humans all year long, but it is closed to dogs during the migratory season. Since it is a refuge they don't want dogs disturbing the birds. I will have to remember it next winter. It would probably be a great place to use snow shoes.
I was also pleased that Shady did not manage to catch a rat.
I'm sure she was well behaved because you were walking. If she would have been driving your truck, it would have been an entirely different matter! When she is driving she does not listen!
Incidentally, our dogs should catch rats together. Like I said, bring her to the barn and they can go gophering.
What do you mean "bring her to the BARN and you can go gophering'? I have a perfectly good gopher down her. Bring them down HERE and go gophering!
Actually, I haven't seen any evidence of the furry little creature for quite a while. But, I am also scarred by him as he has lain in wait before only to re-emerge. B.....d!
I watched Caddy Shack last light. If he comes back, I am going to the plastic explosive.
Mother, if the dang gopher comes back forget the plastic explosives... IT IS TIME FOR YOU TO GET A DOG!!!!
Shady, your not even listening to me now!
Shady doesn't ever listen to me, and she certainly isn't listening to me now! I don't know why I bother...
I miss farmington. What great photos. I miss the mountains. Shady is adorable. I miss this family--you guys are hilarious. I hope that it is ok that I read all of your comments. Makes me feel at home as a kid--I basically lived in your house for a few years.
Mitch, you are always welcome to leave a comment!
Post a Comment