Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Quarantined

The Shady Lady and I were walking down Fairfield today. We were walking on the west side of the street, and the houses on that side all back Fairfield with a vinyl fence separating their back yards from the sidewalk. So we were walking along, minding our own business, when we came to a place where one of the fence panels had come loose from the post, and there was about a three inch gap. My coonhound stuck her nose into that gap, and was immediately bitten by a yellow lab on the other side. It was not just a little nip, but a ferocious bite. I hit the lab in the head several times before he let go of Shady's muzzle. She has a big gash along the top of her nose as well as several smaller gashes, and there was blood everywhere. When she shook her head she sprayed blood all over me.

We continued our walk down to Blockbuster so I could return a DVD, and while we walked I debated whether or not I should do anything about it. I realized that the lab was just defending his property, but at the same time I wondered what would have happened if it had been a small child who stuck their hand or face up to that gap. I decided that I would stop on the way back and talk to the owner about fixing the fence. When I got back to the house no one was home, so as I walked home I debated whether or not I should call animal control. Again, I decided that I should do something before someone else was hurt, so I made the call to Animal Control.

They sent an officer to my house to make a report, and as she was getting ready to leave she informed me that MY dog would have to be quarantined for the next eleven days! Oh, and since that day falls on a Saturday, my dog will actually have to be quarantined for the next 13 days! If I'd had any idea that MY dog would be quarantined because of this I never would have made the call. My life is going to be a living hell for the next 13 days. You have no idea how destructive this coonhound can be when she is full of energy. These next two weeks may very well be the worst two weeks of my life.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's what you get for being a good samaritan!! Freaking animal control they really take this a little to far sometimes. Is she being quarantined incase the other dog may have had rabies?

I remember when Copper was on house arrest and the animal control officer came to check on her, we lived with dad at the time, and I had her out on the deck. So he asked where she was and I told him out on the deck and he said oh no you can't have her outside at all without a leash on. I showed him the deck was closed off and he said that was okay, but they can't even be in the backyard without a leash on! So, be careful gal, they will be watching you!!

Good luck and God speed!

Denise said...

NEVER call animal control k? And yes they did it in case the other animal has rabies.

Animal Control is crazy and they will watch you like a freaking hawk ok?

Matt-n-Jef said...

Just goes to show how messed up this whole society that we live in is these days.. Those who do good deeds are the ones who are ultimately punished.

Victims are always the ones who pay the price

Jen said...

You can bet that I will never call animal control again. Yes, she is quarantined just in case, although both dogs have been vaccinated, rabies might be involved. However, the animal control gal was quick to assure me that there hasn't been a case of a domesticated animal with rabies in Davis County for more that 30 years. So basically my dog and I are being punished for no reason whatsoever.

Sheryl said...

So, they did nothing about the other dog? That's insane!

Aside from the quarantine, which is asinine, how bad was she cut? Did she need stitches or anything? Because if she did, I would be contacting the homeowner for a little restitution.

You put a uniform on those people and they run wild with power.

Jen said...

The cut on her nose bled a lot, but it didn't need stitches. I think that the other dog is also under quarantine, but I'm still not happy about it. I just don't understand why my dog, who was not agressive and did nothing wrong, now has to be punished.

Alyssa Findlay said...

That's good that Shady doesn't have to get stitches. My cousin's 5 year old daughter stuck her hand though a chain-link fence last summer, and got her hand bit by a dog. She had to have reconstuctive surgery... Her entire hand is like one big scar. Poor thing :(

Nate said...

Poor Shady. I can't imagine having to keep Belly under quarantine. Good luck, I'm sure the time will just FLY by.

Steph Thompson said...

Well I guess your only option is to trade in your elliptical for a treadmill and hook that dog up!!!! Sorry to say it but for 13 days, your life sucks!