Sunday, September 27, 2009

At Long Last

Three and a half years ago I planted a mimosa tree in my yard. There are several of them in my neighborhood and I love the feathery pink blossoms. The first summer that I had the tree it grew from about 4 feet to about 6 feet but it didn't bloom. The next spring I waited in anticipation for it to do something but it never did. April and May passed by without any sign of it putting forth leaves and by June I admitted that it wasn't just a late bloomer, it was dead. I decided to cut the tree down before I dug up the root ball. When I unwrapped the tape at the base of the trunk I found several tiny green shoots growing out of it. I decided that since the tree was trying to live I would give it a chance. I cut it down to about 6 inches from the ground and I watched it grow. It grew really fast, about 5 or 6 feet that summer, so I was hoping that it would make it. The next spring I found that it had died down to about 3 feet, so I trimmed it back and decided to give it another chance. It grew several feet again last summer, but it never bloomed. This spring I found that it had again died back somewhat, but not nearly as much as it had in the past. Still, I was getting really irritated with the tree. I told it that it had better do something besides look weedy this year or I was done with it. Again, it has grown quite a bit this summer, but there have been no blossoms until I went out yesterday to mow the lawn and found six blossoms. Today there are nine. My poor little weedy tree is finally starting to look like a real mimosa, so I guess I will keep it around.


9 comments:

Denise said...

LOL I have this vision of you speaking to the tree. This should be a childrens inspiration book. As I read it I thought of the message it had :)

Kellie said...

Yay, little tree!

iMzOOL said...

what a cool tree. i would have never thought to cut off the dead parts. it would have sat in my yard as a dead tree. i have a burning bush in my front yard like that. wonder if i should be cutting off the dead parts...

Anonymous said...

I agree with Denise, you should turn that into a children's book! I love it, you just wait, that mimosa is going to grow up to be something spectacular! Don't get your hopes up about it being greatful to you for anything though, I hear tree's are just like kids... it's never enough! Ungrateful little shits!

Sheryl said...

Yea! Finally! I think is it completly weird that it has waited until fall to bloom, but better late than never. And we thought it never would!

~Cynthia~ said...

I admire your patience and glad you finally have blossoms.

Julie said...

I love mimosa trees! My neighbor have op on her's, I'm glad you didn't give up!

Jen said...

Yes, Michelle, you should always cut off the dead parts.

Grandmajoann said...

I say, that is a lot of patience. Good for you. So gald you finally got to see the blossoms. Your yard is very nice. You are a real gardner! And, I like the idea of de-furring your dog every day. Glad there are tools for doing that. Have a fun time on Sunday...Love ya.