Friday, July 25, 2008

Guest Room

I was going to wait until the windows had been replaced in this room before I posted pictures, but I have been sitting around with nothing to do all day so I figured I could post twice. The first picture is my guest room before I painted, the next two show it after.

I am really not good at choosing colors based on those little cards. I thought that I had chosen a beige, but it turned out to be a really pretty orangish yellow. I may be ambivalent about my living room color, but I absolutely love this one. I wish that I had chosen it for the entire house.

Two things that I have learned from this experience thus far are that:
A:) Painting is a nightmare when you decide to paint half of your house in one day, but it is actually kind of fun when you do it one room at a time.
B:) Quality paint makes all the difference in the world. I used Olympic for my living room and hall, and it needed two coats plus touch up. I used Valspar in the guest room and it didn't require any touch up with just one coat. I have a can of Behr for my den so I will have to see how it stacks up.

They have replaced the picture window in my front room. Look at how much difference it made just to get rid of those ugly grids!

















9 comments:

Steph Thompson said...

That does make a huge difference! Who would have thought? Now you have a crisper view of single guys house! Yeah!!!

Jen said...

Oh, single guy! He has had a second car sitting in his driveway for about three weeks now. I don't know if it belongs to him or someone else, but I haven't seen anyone else over there.

Sheryl said...

Well, now I have seen it with my own eyes. I would never have guessed that getting rid of the grids would make such a difference. It is fantastic.

thebeaver said...

WOW!! Nice color choices Jen...and I love the window just from the picture.

If I do say so myself you are doing very well at this Blog thing too. Keep up the great work.

Denise said...

Much improvement....and I don't know why you would ever try painting more than one room per day!

Anonymous said...

I do agree having several small projects is better than one enormous one. It just gets really tedious and overwhelming.

We decided to join you and Jef in purgatory and redo all of our doors (painting and hanging). Total nightmare is all I have to say.

Great color choice it looks so much more open. The window looks really good, I am so glad you get a better view of single guy's abandoned car!

Nate said...

The window looks great. Did you end up getting the windows that you can reverse, so you don't have to go outside to clean them?? One more question...which room is the guest room...is it the one at the front of the house or the rear?

Sorry for all the questions...but I need to know. We have been replacing our interior doors for the last two days...it has been a NIGHTMARE!!!!

Jen said...

No, I wasn't high class enough to get the windows that swing in for easy cleaning. I'm too cheap to go for the really nice stuff.

My spare room is the one in the back of the house that Ava used as a bedrooom.

I've also been thinking that I need to redo all of my interior doors. Did you get new door frames or just new doors? I don't think that my guest room has ever had a real door. There aren't any slots for hinges or the door bolt in the frame. It just has this nasty plastic accordian door. That's the kind of high-class establishment that I live in!

Nate said...

All of our doors had moldings already in. We bought the slab doors from Home Depot. They come primed and a hole cut out for the knob. The hinges need to be flush in the door, so if you don't have a router, you do the white-trash thing like we did and use a chisel and hammer.

The problem we had is that some of the doors turned out to be about a half inch too big. Make sure you measure the inside of the opening very carefully!!!

I think ours turned out okay, but I wish I had known what I know now, before I started.