I went up to the animal shelter right after work today and picked out my new dog.

We were wondering if she is really only 5 months old because she looks like an adult, but she sure does have the energy of a puppy.

I've had her for just over 2 hours now, and in that time we have taken a long walk, had a bath, raced around the house like a wild animal, and taken another walk. I wish that someone had been here to take a picture of me after the bath, because I was just as wet as she was.

She is finally starting to calm down, and she has been enjoying a rawhide and a hoof, so my house does indeed smell like a circus right now.

Wish me luck with my wild puppy!
17 comments:
Oh my gosh I love her!! She looks so happy and like she has been apart of the family forever, she looks right at home on the furniture. Shady is the perfect name. I have been checking the blog every ten minutes for the last 4 hours gal waiting for this. I was so worked up wondering who you were bringing home I could hardly focus. I kept telling myself relax but to no avail!! Can't wait to here how she settles in over the next couple of weeks. Congrats on your new baby!
Okay I am still obsessed. She is a snouted and tailed animal and I am so excited that we have a coonhound!!
P.S. She is really pretty and I love her
Relax, Angela! Try to focus!
She is a snouted and a tailed animal, and I am not used to that. I have in fact already been swacked in the face by that tail.
Fortunately, I seem to have finally succeeded in wearing her out. She has been asleep for almost an hour now, and I am thinking I need to wake her up and take her for a walk so I can try to get her to go potty. As far as I can tell she has not peed since I brought her home. She did poop in the laundry room (luckily it is just a concrete floor) but I want to make sure she pees in an appropriate place before we settle down for the night.
AWEEEE she is so cute! Shady is the perfect name(:
I am officially relaxing, atleast trying to. And I never succeeded in focusing on homework so I have given up for the night.
I will be wishing you much luck on your first sleepover! I hope she sleeps well.
What a beautiful dog. Sounds like you will both be a happy pair. Hope you have lots of energy for this one, sounds like she is going to need it.
I was actually hoping that you would bring them both home.
YEAH! I am surprised. For some reason I didn't think you were going to do it until tomorrow. She is adorable. I think she is so pretty. I hope you get to sleep tonight, and that the potty thing works out well.
I am going to have to come and meet her in person.
We have just returned from our 3rd 45 minute walk of the day and I still have no evidence that this animal pees. I'm not sure that awakening her was such a good idea, because she is once again thrashing around the living room with her hoof like a maniac.
You got a puppy!
All I really have to say is I'm glad it is you and not me!! Seriously though, I hope she turns out to be the perfect dog/pal for you and everything goes well with the transition to her new home.
Way cute!
Congrats! She is very cute, I can just see the 2 of you hiking in the mountains, enjoying the fresh air and freedom.
A might fine looking animal. I am very happy for you. I will have to come and see if she accepts me as a Grandma. Have fun!
Oh Shady lady... you definitely got a pup! Sounds just like Bella, you never wake a sleeping beast!
How did you sleep?
She is beautiful. I can't believe how brilliant her colors look from the pictures. I can't believe you have already taken her on three walks. I just barely took Bellie on her first walk yesterday. Other than the 12 feet of snow and below 0 temperatures it was a success.
I didn't realize that you have to train a dog to walk on a leash. I thought it was just an innate behavior. Bellie likes to walk right in between my legs and trip me with every step. So at least you don't have to deal with that.
Maybe you should sign up for the puppy training classes at Petsmart. We are going to class #2 tonight and so far Bellie has mastered everything from the first class. I was skeptical, but I think it will really be a good thing for her. Good Luck!!
Oh my gosh she is too cute. I think she looks like a puppy. She is still gangly and such. That's how they are at 5 months to a year.
Nate, I love that you thought they just walked on leashes. LOL
We slept just fine last night. She crashed right next to me on the bed and slept straight through the night.
We have just returned from an hour and a half walk, and she has finally peed while on the leash for me. The training video that the shelter gave me told me to give her a treat when she goes potty outside, but so far she doesn't want any of my treats. She just wants to play with the stinky hoof.
And as far as walking on a leash goes, that thing is lunging ahead and cutting in front of me every few steps. I think we will be going to buy a pinch collar this afternoon.
I have to admit I think she is one of the most beautiful dogs I have ever seen. Her colors ar brilliant, and I think that her markings are very pretty.
Post a Comment